Woke up this morning and I can see the drain in the deep end! woohoo--haven't even started slamming yet. Maybe cleaning the filters and adding just the bit of bleach.

A couple of questions. I can see algae/dirt on the bottom of the pool in areas and on the walls.
1) should I brush or vacuum the walls and floor before I begin slamming or does it matter? I imagine if I brush/vacuum it will stir things up which I don't see as a bad thing but I don't know.
2) during the SLAM process am I only testing FC every hour+ or do I also need to be testing CYA? Anything else?
3) When do I know I can do my first OCLT?
4) When can we swim in it?
5) Is there an average length of time it takes for the FC to drop to the right levels? Should I run the pump 24/7 until they reach the right levels?
6) Once the pool is in order, how often do I perform the full test for FC, CC, CYA, CH, TA, pH? Do I add chlorine daily in between testing or wait to add chemicals until each test?
7) When can I put the Polaris back in the pool?

You said a couple questions, so I can only answer two. :joker: Bwaahaaaaa

Okay, so improvement is good, but don't get too confident. Time to SLAM and maintain the FC. The FC test is the one you are primarily concerned with now. No need to check the CYA again for a while. You can check CC from time to time, but FC (and maintaining it) is key. So is brushing, vacuuming, etc. Check everywhere and hit all pool surfaces frequently so that the bleach can penetrate any organic matter. You can do the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test near the end of the SLAM once the water is clear and you know you are very close to being done. You can swim if you want as long as your FC has not exceeded your SLMA/shock level. The FC will drop based on the amount of algae and sunlight, so you'll just need to test every so often and bump it up as you can. After the SLAM, the FC will fall back to normal and we'll review all your new levels to help you adjust them as needed. The Polaris can go in anytime. A SLAM doesn't effect it. Probably a good idea to rinse it off after each use though.

I’m vacuuming and it’s just making the pool incredibly cloudy with algae. I can see the returns just shooting green water out. Is this right???
Sounds like your filter is overwhelmed. Have you been cleaning it regularly? Have you officially started your SLAM? You mentioned it yesterday I think. Maintaining that proper SLAM FC level? [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

That is a good thing. You are disturbing the bio film on the algae and the chlorine can attack it.

Watch your FC, it is most likely getting used up pretty quickly.

Reactions: matgor
Okay. Starting the slam. Just hard to vacuum because I can’t see the bottom. But I’ll keep going. Putting some to waste because we got a big storm last night.

1) How often should I test cc, ph, cya during the slam? I know FC is tested every 60+ minutes.

2) is it important to make sure the algae is stirred up? ie brush sides really well?

THANKS

SLAM is moving along. Lost 5.5 FC over 3.5 hours. Brushing and adding more bleach!
dbtgallery.php

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So far so good. 5 hours ago I had to add 360 oz, 2.5 hours ago 165 oz, just a few minutes ago I needed 132 oz.

plan for tomorrow morning is to:
1) test and add chlorine
2) coffee
3) clean filters
4) vacuum pool
5) test and add chlorine
6) repeat step 5

vacuumng for the first time this morning I was excited that I could see vacuum lines—I was getting junk up. But about halfway through the shallow end I noticed the returns were just spewing green clouds back into the pool. It quickly became too cloudy to really vacuum, but I persisted in the shallow end and finished there. Hoping tomorrow I can see the deep end again—I can barely see the shallow drain right now but I’ve been brushing every few hours.

i wasn’t excited for the rain and overcast weather today but the rain has been pretty minor and I think the clouds probably helped me spend a little less. Either way, if I end up spending $200 on this slam it will be a fraction of having a pro come out.

You're doing very good. Because of the apparently heavy organic load, you'll have to rinse those filter cartridges more often, but each time helps. In time, the chlorine (bleach) will turn all that algae grey/white, and you'll begin to see more & more improvement.

More than once per day you think?
Certainly, if the pressure increases a lot. If your filter pressure gauge is working properly, when the psi increases by about 25%, it's time to clean. When the cartridges get too packed with junk, they can't hold anymore and it just flows past into the returns again. So keep an eye on the return jets and the psi gauge. Then you'll know.

Cleaned filters, vacuuumed, brushed, added chlorine. So nice to SLAM for two days because I could really see the difference between day one of vacuuming/brushing/filters and day 2. This legit works so well and I feel like this super expensive thing I own is not such a liability anymore. So much more to learn, but at least I have a much better handle on caring for it. In case anyone is discouraged—I’ve used 2,200 oz of bleach so far. It does not take a small amount but that’s under $40. And my cloudy “organic” pool looks like it should in 24 hours (not that I’m done but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel)!

I looked at the BioGuard printouts I was getting from the pool store and it was interesting that my CC registered at one point as 0.8 but they crossed out the recommendation from BioGuard and wanted me to add an extra puck in each skimmer and shock it and add some algaecide. All that helped momentarily kill some things and raise FC but it was never going to solve the problem. And the cost of just shocking it that one time was very close to the cost I’ve spent on bleach for my entire SLAM—and my pool will actually be fixed and clear. Amazing!! Buy the tests and buy the bleach. Saves you so much and gives you control!! Thank you everyone!! Many more questions coming...

Attachments

• FDF9E658-445B-4BC8-A802-AF25AA242CC1.jpg
    FDF9E658-445B-4BC8-A802-AF25AA242CC1.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 52
We are glad you have found our information helpful and have saved money over the pool store and their sales. Please consider making a donation to TFP.

We are staffed by volunteers and are registered as an IRS 501 (c) (3) charity and donations are what keeps the forum viable without advertisements.

Praise the slam! Crystal clear this morning! Still mid-slam but I can see every part of the pool to brush and vacuum!
Amen to that! Looking MUCH better! :goodjob: Now you are truly reaping some benefits from your work and accurate testing. Keep at it. You have the algae against the ropes. Time to SLAM until you pass all 3 criteria for the total knockout.

We are glad you have found our information helpful and have saved money over the pool store and their sales. Please consider making a donation to TFP.

We are staffed by volunteers and are registered as an IRS 501 (c) (3) charity and donations are what keeps the forum viable without advertisements.

I will 100% be making a donation!!

UPDATE:
10:07a I needed to raise the FC 2 and added the appropriate amount.
Now almost 1pm and the pool is at the raised level with a CC test score of 0!!!

pool is clear. No sign of “life” and I guess I just need to do my overnight test. Hope that goes well and then I’ll be back to talk about CH!

Passed the OCLT. My CC shows some level under 0.5 (can’t tell with the 10ml test).
1) Do I need to do anything because of the CC reading? FC is 18.5. CYA was 60-70 last time I checked.
2) when can I accurately perform the full array of test for pH, TA, CH? I know I need to raise the CH at the minimum.

Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.