Above Ground Solar Pool Cover Storage ideas

Hello Trouble Free Pool Members and Admin. We purchased a 20' above ground pool for my grand kids to enjoy while they're at our house. With our pool we used the included solar cover and had a hard time putting it on and taking the cover off and finding a place to store it once it was off of the pool. My husband and I don't want to drill any holes or attach anything to the pool that will compromise the stability of the pool. What do you recommend?

Thanks MrBfromNC. I saw those before and suggested them to my husband and he said you will have to screw the hooks onto the pool to secure them. I really don't want to hammer or use drill screws or anything on the pool itself which would lead to other problems down the road. Is there anything out there that you know of that's a stand alone storage device that can be used?

Yes, that's why I mentioned "If you have any type of fence around your pool". I wouldn't want to drill holes in my pool walls or vertical supports either.

Also, I've seen mention of several folks who have cut their covers in half (or even into multiple pieces) so that handling and storing them is much easier.

You don't have to drill or attach anything to the pool with a saddle set up. It's made all of pvc pipe and it hooks over the top rail and over the outside of the pool, which the cover then is just somewhat accordianed over the side into the saddles. The whole set up just hangs over the side and is completely removable when it's time to cover for the winter.

I have a 20ft Intex I took some 2in pvc pipe I had and made a 23ft ish pipe. then I can use the pipe to roll up the cover and just put it next to the pool when off and roll it back on the pool.

What is the flex of the pipe like when the cover is rolled on it? I like the idea of the OVC pipe but have read that it is too flexible (not rigid) and flexes so much under the weight of the cover to make it impractical.

What is the flex of the pipe like when the cover is rolled on it? I like the idea of the OVC pipe but have read that it is too flexible (not rigid) and flexes so much under the weight of the cover to make it impractical.

it does flex.
the way I use it is just as a aid to roll the cover up. Thow I think the pipe flexes a bit less when I have the cover rolled up on it then without.
I start on one side and roll it across the pool. I do not have a way to attach the cover to the pvc yet so I have roll the cover and the pipe is just their for the ride. When I have it rolled up I drag it out the pool and let it hit the ground then to put it back in I pick it up in the center and the flex is not a problem for me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I thought the solar cover when off the pool had to be covered or at least stored out of the suns rays? Did not think you should just hang in the sun, due to the fact it will dry out and break down. Maybe I misread this information.

I (over)built a three-part free-standing rack out of one-inch pvc that stands next to the pool, I roll the cover up, fold it in thirds, put it in the rack and cover with a length of outdoor fabric I got from fabric.com.

I will try to take a picture tomorrow and post.

FYI -- Solar Saddle
The First Easy-Handling Solar Blanket Storage System
The Solar Saddle is a unique and simple storage solution for above ground pool solar blankets. Tired of that soggy solar blanket lying on the deck or the ground? Or maybe you've been struggling to roll it up on a solar reel. With the Solar Saddle, you can quickly fold up your blanket and store it right on the side of the pool, within easy reach for the next use.
solarsaddle4.gif

Easy to use, simple to install, and affordable!
The Solar Saddle features a set of five flexible mounting brackets that attach to the top rail of your pool, giving you the freedom to install the saddle exactly where you want it. Easy to position out of sight on the back side of the pool. Once installed, you simply fold up your solar cover and rest it in the brackets. This folding method keeps your pool much cleaner than solar reels which allow collected debris from the top of the blanket to dump right into the pool. The Solar Saddle turns removing and replacing a solar cover into a one-person job whether you are in or out of the pool. Includes five mounting brackets and all hardware.
Features

• Easy installation takes about 30 minutes
  • Strong yet lightweight
  • Able to hold the largest size above ground pool solar covers
  • Makes it easy for one person to quickly remove cover
  • Helps to keep your pool cleaner
  • Prolongs the life of your solar blanket
  • Much more affordable than a bulky solar reel
Typical installation setup of Solar Saddle onto top rail of above ground pool
solar-saddle-install.gif

Solar Saddle hardware includes:

• 5 Mounting Brackets
  • 20 Stainless Steel Bolts
  • 5 Hex nuts
  • 5 Mounting Pins
Installation requires two holes per bracket to be drilled in the top rail of the pool. Each bracket extends out from the side of your pool 18" and down the edge of the pool 19".
solarsaddle3.gif

Pictures above show a solar cover on a 27 foot round pool stored neatly and out of the way.

We bought some 1" PVC and some elbows & caps. Made some "U" shapes and used long rubber coated twist ties to attach to our Intex uprights. If you have a hard wall pool, you'd probably have to attach differently. Some folks make an "S" shape and hang them right over the edge. Very affordable, durable, and we fold the U's against the pool wall when not in use.

With the round pool, we rolled the cover about 1/2 way, lifted it on the rack, the finished rolling. Now with a rectangular pool, we accordion fold it.

We do cover the cover when it's on the rack.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.