Help me see the bottom of my pool!

Re: Help me see the bottom of my pool!

Yikes! There is very little that you will know from test strips. They are not reliable.

1st step is get a good test kit pronto. Order a tf-100 or a Taylor test kit.

http://tftestkits.net/TF-100-Test-Kit-p4.html

You may want to get the xl option as taking your swamp through a SLAM will use up a lot of reagents.

You need to get as much as possible out of the pool manually. Use a leaf rake or skimmer to get all of the big chunks out. All organic matter will use up your chlorine. By getting it out you make your chlorine more effective at getting ahead of the algae.

Read up in pool school and the slam protocol
https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/123-abc-of-pool-water-chemistry
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock
https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl

once you get your test kit post a full result of all tests. There are different scenarios that make partially draining a pool better than SLAMing depending on your numbers so check in here for some help. In the meantime make sure you get everything out that you can.

I am am worried about your pH given your test strip results. I ran my pump with very acidic water for several weeks while I was on the learning curve/getting taken by the local pool stores. I wish I had known how important this value was in getting my pool under control/ not harming my pool equipment.

I can highly recommend you stay away from pool stores... three visits later they had $700 and I still had a green pool. TFP works if you are ready to do the work but it all starts with testing so you aren’t guessing but making sound decisions on what to add to your pool.

Sounds like a good slam is in order. Get the test kit and read all about the slam procedure. It's pretty intense and you have to dedicate time to getting your pool clear but once it's done you will be able to see if a dime is on heads or tails.

Left town for a weekend and received the TF-100 when I got back yesterday. Tested yesterday at dusk:

FC - 0

pH - 8.0
TA - 40
CYA - 25

The 0 FC made sense since no chlorine was added in 5 days.

Added some more dissolved stabilizer, muriatic acid, and three jugs (!) of LC (384 oz @ 12.5%).

Tested at noon today:

FC - 0
pH - 7.5
CYA - 30

When I cleaned my cartridge filter, there were bright green chunks of algae flying out. I added some more CYA (I have 7 lbs that has been dissolving in a bucket for a week or two).

Is it safe to say that the algae ate through all of the chlorine? What levels should I aim for while I SLAM? Is it enough that I dump chlorine in the morning and in evening?

I wouldn't add any more stabilizer just yet. You should keep your CYA around 30-40 and then lower your PH to about 7.2 and start the SLAM process. You will want to have a ton of liquid chlorine on hand and keep the FC at slam level until you pass the three tests. (CC is less than .5 PPM, clear pool, and you pass the OCLT)

If your CYA is at 40, shock level is 16 PPM.

What is your combined chlorine at?

Answering a couple of your questions from above:
-take you aquabot out of the pool and don’t use it until after the SLAM is done. It’s just going to stir stuff up.
-don’t raise your cya anymore. That’s a dream level because it will take less chlorine with a level like that.
-Clean that filter as often as possible—daily, twice a day, often. Best thing to do is look at the pressure gauge on the filter—if it hits 20 or 25 psi then you need to clean the filters.
-someone above said to scoop out and chunks you can—do this
-one you lower the ph a little start the slam. You can definitely be adding a jug of bleach more than daily until you lower the ph.

Did you add a stabilizer. Your CYA jumped from 30 to 40. If your CYA is a 40, you have to bring your FC to the shock level of 16 (FC/CYA). Maintain that shock level at all times and have your pump running 24/7. Test your FC every couple of hours and add chlorine when necessary in order to maintain your FC shock level (Use PoolMath for this). Brush your pool (get between the ladders if you have any) while in SLAM mode. Also, clear your pool of debris using pool tools vacuum, pool net , etc. Again, maintain your shock level of 16. Once your pool is clear, its time to perform the following. Here’s the link: Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Most recent numbers after following PoolMath for a week. It's still green, though the FC is down to 5.

FC- 5
CC- 1
pH-7.4
TA- 70
CYA 30 (Has been 30 or 40... I don't think the levels are changing as much as it's probably my interpretation of the readings)

Get that FC up to 16 right away and keep it there by redosing every time you test. It needs to stay at that high level so you can get ahead of the algae. Otherwise, you'll kill some, but more will start growing and you'll be spinning your wheels. You really don't need to test CC until you're close to being done and the water is crystal clear.

Please post a new picture of the pool water for us.
Are you running the filter 24/7?
What is the filter pressure after cleaning the cartridges?
At what pressure are you cleaning the cartridges?
I'd also run the Aquabot.
It doesn't sound like your testing & adding chlorine often enough. I'd be checking/adding every hour until the chlorine starts to hold. Just check FC while doing this.

Is there a better way to clean my filter other than hosing it off on the grass and hoping my dog and kid avoid the area? When I run my Aquabot, it pulls up a bunch of thick green slime that I wouldn't want them playing in. Am I missing something?

Moved to this thread. Mod. Marty

Last edited by a moderator:

Good to know that I can hold off on CC for now. I had a setback last week when my relief valve broke on my filter and I couldn't run my pump. Some thunderstorms have caused me to drain some water as well.

After getting up to 12 FC a week ago, I dropped down and was at 1 FC 2 days ago. I'm back to around 8 FC and PoolMath keeps telling me to add about 100 oz of LC every time I test. It seems like I should be adding more though because it's still pretty green.

I am cleaning the filter when the gauge is around 15 I'd say - usually once every day or two. It normally runs around 10.

Currently:

FC - 8
pH - 7.5
TA - 40
CH - 200
CYA - 30

View attachment 82154

Hello Jak... try to maintain your FC shock level at 12 by testing your FC ever hour during this SLAM process. Don't let your FC drop below 12 until you are completely done with your SLAM. Brush brush brush the walls of your pool and in-between the ladder(s). Your current FC is at an 8. It should be at a 12. Please go to PoolMath and add the correct oz of bleach or liquid chlorine to get it back up to 12. Maintain your FC at 12 at all times. Don't let it drop.

How do I get the air out of my pump?

New house, new pool.

I am on about Week 5 of a SLAM and have been running my pump 24/7 since Memorial Day. I am gotten rid of most of the algae to the point the filters are not filled with green junk when I clean them anymore.
Lately the pump basket has only been about half full with water and thepump has been harder than usual. My water level is at a good spot, at least half way up the skimmers. I have noticed that 1 of the 2 skimmers doesn't seem to be working, as it always stays clean.

What do I need to do? The pump had a few small patches on it from the previous owner that could be the issue(?) and I have applied pool lube to the O ring for the pump cover and filter cover.

What else can I try while I wait for a repair company to call me back?

View attachment 83870 View attachment 83871

Re: How do I get the air out of my pump?

It sounds as though you still have a suction side leak. If one of the old pump water baskets was repaired in the past, it could be that. You could try some epoxy on the outside if you see a crack. Once you are sure you have exhausted all the items on the Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks, you may need to look a bit further. Open the filter again to ensure it's clean and record the clean pressure on the filter gauge so you have a good comparison. With power off, also check to ensure the pump impeller is moving freely. Remember that even if you don't see dark green algae, the organic matter remaining can be transparent in its early stages and still clog-up a filter effecting water flow. Five weeks is a long time for a SLAM. You might wish to post your CYA & FC for us to see if we notice anything odd. Hopefully by now you have removed any lights to get behind the niche (if applicable) and removed any hollow steps or ladders as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.