Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to kill a motor

1. Back To Top    #1

How to kill a motor

I'm new to pool ownership with purchase of a 7 year old house with IG pool in August 2009. History on the pool and previous owners is sketchy at best since house was what we call the Big "F" house. "F" for "Foreclosure". I purchased a Home Warranty plan that covers the heating, pumping and filtration equipment on my pool/spa. I've been told by numerous pool dudes that my motor has bad bearings and / or is impending death because it is so loud and screechy. (Oddly enough the screeching only started after a Warranty Pool dude came out and repaired a leak in the pump ). Warranty won't cover repairs for "noise". So my question is what can speed the impending death of my motor, so I can stop annoying the neighbors with the noise? Or do I have other alternatives? Hiring someone to replace bearings, perhaps?
    I am not handy - which is why I bought the Home Warranty and I am not good at taking things apart and getting them back together again.
    18K gallon Pebble Pool and spa/ Hayward H400IDL Heater/ Hayward Pro Grid 48 ft Vertical Grid DE Filter / Aquarite Chlorine Generator / 2 HP Hayward Northstar Pump /
    New pool owner since 2009

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to kill a motor

Since you're not handy (kudos for telling us that up front ). And since I'm not going to tell you how to ruin your pump. I'd suggest calling your local pool company and have them rebuild the pump. They should put in new bearings and a new seal.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Telling you how to ruin it might be counter-productive as warranties generally exclude abuse, non-standard operation, etc. This would include running it dry, which is probably what already happened in the first place. Maybe tie it to a really big kite in a lightning storm...if lightning were covered...and it's probably not. So I would say live with the noise until it dies, probably less than 1 full season, and see what happens with your guarantee then. Try to do a Kevorkian on it and you could lose all hope of coverage, and you might hurt yourself or others. Electric motors are dangerous. If you really can't wait, then 'Bama gave you the alternative.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

if there's any scale or rust on there, it won't be covered under warranty.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by DBfan187
    So one must wonder then....what good is the warranty?
    How can they exclude scale and rust on a metal object that sits outdoors through all types of weather?
    ~18000 gal in-ground pool
    Zodiac C170S SWG
    Hayward top mount sand filter
    Hayward Pool Vac Ultra

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by DaveInPhx
    How can they exclude scale and rust on a metal object that sits outdoors through all types of weather?
    Because scale and rust would fall under 'normal wear and tear', which is typically not covered by basic warranties.

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome to TFP!!

If you really want to kill it - post back here I can tell you how to toast a seal assembly in short time, it may take a couple of days for the damage to be apparent and a few weeks for the motor to start failing - sorry it's not an immediate wreck, but I usually fix these problems, not cause them
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by DaveInPhx
    Way too many people were returning motors with squealing bearings from water getting into the motor from leaky shaft seals. The manufacturers put a stop to this by stating that any motors damaged by leaking shaft seals, sprinkler heads, flooding, and scale will not be covered under warranty.

9. Back To Top    #9

I believe Juice is talking about a HOME warranty and not a manufactures warranty. They usually will cover almost anything but typically have a deductible. I would read the fine print though just to make sure. Everyone is slightly different.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

10. Back To Top    #10

You are right. I am referring to a Home Warranty purchased when we bought the house that covers appliances, Heat, AC etc and with additional coverage that I added for the pool/spa equipment.

I'm not covered when the malfunction is due to misuse, abuse or mistreatment. OR Lightning!!!!

I am covered for improper repair, installation or modifications.

And I am an honest person. Yet frustrated that I cannot enjoy my new pool or confidently meet my new neighbors.

What about these sound barriers? Did I see this info in another forum?

Looking forward to a TFP!!!
    18K gallon Pebble Pool and spa/ Hayward H400IDL Heater/ Hayward Pro Grid 48 ft Vertical Grid DE Filter / Aquarite Chlorine Generator / 2 HP Hayward Northstar Pump /
    New pool owner since 2009

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by juicepluspoolmom
    What about these sound barriers? Did I see this info in another forum?
    Yes, check out this thread started by zephans.
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009