about to give up!

Is there good flow from the returns when the pressure is over 30?
I'd clean it tomorrow & filter through the skimmer.

Ok, so I think from pasting it all together our plan will be:

1) add DE (already done, will be wasted per plan below)
2) vac to waste
3) top off water
4) filter on recirculate
5) shock tonight per pool math
6) vac to waste again tomorrow or sunday (how will we know it's time?)
7)clean filter tomorrow
8) go back to filter once murky blue

pls confirm that is the plan thank you!

Ok, so I think from pasting it all together our plan will be:

1) add DE (already done, will be wasted per plan below)
2) vac to waste
3) top off water
4) filter on recirculate
5) shock tonight per pool math
6) vac to waste again tomorrow or sunday (how will we know it's time?)
7)clean filter tomorrow
8) go back to filter once murky blue

pls confirm that is the plan thank you!
If you're vacuuming to waste and running on recirculate, there will be no water going through the filter. So the filter won't need cleaning tomorrow.

Re: pool math problem?

Ammonia perhaps. Follow the ammonia removal protocol. Keep adding bleach to 10 ppm and recheck every 10 minutes until it holds FC above 5. After that bring CYA to 30 and then SLAM.

If I’m not mistaken, it would be weird if you could maintain that CYA with ammonia in the water. Your overnight drop is most likely because there’s a lot of stuff in that water to fight! But, you can certainly check... add FC to 10 while circulating, check a few minutes later. If your FC is above 5, ammonia isn’t an issue, you just have a lot of stuff to kill.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Regarding the filter, we cleaned it and it was a complete mess - only two weeks the pool had been open. So now it's sparkling clean but there is boat loads of live algae still in the pool. Marty had said keep filter off until it gets murky blue and we aren't there yet.

This morning, day 5 of really consistant SLAM not letting it drop more than 1-2 FC, we are at 13 and I'm adding 1.3 bottles bleach to get it back to 16.

Day five? Help, it's not changing!

At this point your pool should no longer be green from algae.

Do you know of any metals issues?

Try going to filter and see what occurs. If your FC is holding as you say at SLAM level you should not have large amounts of live algae.

At this point your pool should no longer be green from algae.

Do you know of any metals issues?

Try going to filter and see what occurs. If your FC is holding as you say at SLAM level you should not have large amounts of live algae.

I agree with said advice.

You've been brushing the pool? Are you brushing the walls too? If you start filtering, you should be able to see the bottom better and perhaps there may be some organic debris that is contributing to the murkiness.

- - - Updated - - -

If I’m not mistaken, it would be weird if you could maintain that CYA with ammonia in the water. Your overnight drop is most likely because there’s a lot of stuff in that water to fight! But, you can certainly check... add FC to 10 while circulating, check a few minutes later. If your FC is above 5, ammonia isn’t an issue, you just have a lot of stuff to kill.

If your CYA is 40, your shock level is 16.

Yes, you can have ammonia and still have some CYA left. Just did a pool that had 12ppm of ammonia and 40ppm of CYA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.