Cannot hold Chlorine!

Jun 15, 2018
Waukesha
Hello everyone!

Long time reader, 1st time writer.

I just converted from Baquacil at the end of May - it took roughly 90 gallons of various strength bleaches and pool chlorine!

The water is crystal clear and sparkly, but I cannot get any FC to hold throughout the day.

Conversion was completed with OCLT was <1 a couple weeks ago. New sand after the conversion.

I have rechecked OCLT 3 times over the past week - passed each time. The pool holds chlorine great at night.

pH: 7.8 (last night)
TA: 180 (2 days ago)
CH: 625 (2 days ago)
CYA: 40-50
CC: 0.5 (this morning)
FC: 9 (this morning)

Each day begins with FC ~ 8, but by the time i'm home from work it's zero (no pink when i add the powder)

I live in SE Wisconsin, so it's not too hot yet, averaging mid-70's with mixed sun and clouds

i have even lost all of my chlorine on a cloudy day with the solar cover still on!

Any ideas??

Hi Poolmom - the solar cover was used with the Baq last year. This is the only accessory that has touched Baq that is currently in the pool.

I had the cover on when shocking, so I think the bleach has cleaned it sufficiently?

I have also had the cover on at night when the OCLT has passed.

The normal routine is cover off all day (6am-8pm) and on all night (8pm-6am)

(not sure if my signature shows up yet, but it's a Ø27' x 4' above ground vinyl pool with a sand filter)

Hello and welcome to TFP.

I too converted from Baquacil and had a similar experience with pool not holding chlorine in daylight. Did you use their CDX product with the Baquacil?

.... your signature did not display you equipment etc.

Bill

... to a Moderator ...this should probably be moved to Baquacil conversion thread area.

Andrew

I struggled, it was driving me nuts. The pool would hold chlorine at night, but lose it massively during daylight. I did a 5 gal bucket test. Took pool water at night after dosing, put it in the bucket and tested the FC. I covered it and put it in the garage. Next morning I'd test it and it would have no chlorine lose. Then I put it out in the sunlight at Noon and within an hour all the chlorine was gone. It was like the CYA was not working at all. Well I keep after it believing in the TFP process and after alot more Gallons of Chlorine that you have already used, (I think you said 90, I do not wish to look back and see), I wrote "like a fever broke" it began to hold chlorine.

I chalked it up to some weird white mold that I was attacking (that the Baq would not handle) had messed up chemistry.

A year later a TFP user was having a similar problem. I asked if he was using CDX. He was. Then one of the TFP experts that I am in awe of... and have learned mega from reading... Chem_Geek looked into it in this Thread.
https://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/102174-Full-sun-clear-cover-CYA-55-And-FC-zero-by-end-of-day-after-SLAM
... hope the link works.

In my ignorance I would paraphrase... "The CDX could interfere with the CYA bonding of the Chlorine, hence it operated as if no CYA"

For me it would have been much more cost effective to drain and refill vs the money and time spent on the chlorine. (Due to CDX use...) for other Baq users it should be text book like outlined on this site.

I am on my 5'th season of TFP. I have become a pool snob. My pool is crystal clear, I can see a dime head/tail in the deep end. I have not slammed my since the first year.

If you need a cheer leader to help you get through I'll be here.

Bill

OPB2, interesting. I did not come across the CDX chemgeek discussion when i was researching my conversion but wish i had. I had trouble meeting the OCLT during my conversion which i put down to white mold in my pipes. note that i also had to clean out a bunch of gunk in my light niche (hint for AS if you have one.)

A suggestion for AS based on the chemgeek discussion. Perhaps do a bucket test similar to OPB2 but add incrementally more bleach each day to see how much it takes to finally hold most of the chlorine during the day. If it works you can extrapolate how much it will take for the whole pool, then decide on that or refill. IF you have seen any evidence of white mold, you might also try cleaning your hoses with a product like Ahh-some to remove any biofilm.

Hello everyone!

Long time reader, 1st time writer.

I just converted from Baquacil at the end of May - it took roughly 90 gallons of various strength bleaches and pool chlorine!

The water is crystal clear and sparkly, but I cannot get any FC to hold throughout the day.

Conversion was completed with OCLT was <1 a couple weeks ago. New sand after the conversion.

I have rechecked OCLT 3 times over the past week - passed each time. The pool holds chlorine great at night.

pH: 7.8 (last night)
TA: 180 (2 days ago)
CH: 625 (2 days ago)
CYA: 40-50
CC: 0.5 (this morning)
FC: 9 (this morning)

Each day begins with FC ~ 8, but by the time i'm home from work it's zero (no pink when i add the powder)

I live in SE Wisconsin, so it's not too hot yet, averaging mid-70's with mixed sun and clouds

i have even lost all of my chlorine on a cloudy day with the solar cover still on!

Any ideas??

Sorry you're having trouble. I'm one of those who has not yet converted (but might yet). I have trouble maintaining an oxidizer level, so we're sort of in the same boat, only using different sanitizing systems. No easy way I guess.....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.