Brand new pool owner, ready to convert after 3 weeks!

Jun 13, 2018
Kokomo
We just got out pool about 3 weeks ago. We are already over $100 in on chemicals and that is in addition to what they started us up with. I've been reading through and already ordered the recommended test kit. We will be purchasing the rest of the supplies soon. We just added Oxidizer, sanitizer, and algicide tonight before I got to reading. We were discussing how much this is going to cost us if we keep using this product. Obviously there are way more issues once you get more time in. Our pool has been completely clear but everytime we take a sample in we leave with at least $50 worth of product. I don't believe the people we dealing with are honest or knowledgeable about the product they sell. Anyway rant over. I do have 2 questions:

1) Should we wait to covert until the levels drop
2) How long before the kids can swim again (this is obviously a contributing factor of when we start the process. It's about to get toasty in Indiana)

Thank you!

Welcome to the forum! :handshake:

Can you tell us what you have been using? Brand name, product name, etc.

Good choice on getting a proper test kit.

Once you let us know what is in the water, we can provide some guidance on what to do while you wait for the test kit.

Take care.

Welcome! Wonderful that you have already ordered the test kit! As soon as you get it, post your test numbers and we will assist you.

You can make the waiting easier by just adding liquid chlorine daily until you get your kit. Use Pool Math at the top of this page to figure out how much you should add.

Please update your signature with the pool details, like mine. Makes it easier for us to help you!

Thank you. A conversion from Baqua to chlorine is a very regimented process. First, you have to decide if it is better to drain and refill with fresh water to make the process quicker, and depending on cost of water, cheaper.

Pool School - Convert Your Baqua Pool to Chlorine

We have some members that are well versed in the process. I will PM them to join this thread.

Take care.

I would suggest calling the water company.

With an above ground pool you can typically safely drain to leaving 1 foot of water left in the pool. Any more and the liner can shift.

Take care.

So first and foremost...........WELCOME!!! I'm trying to chase after these brats that I call "my kids" so if I miss something please yell at them. :D

1) Should we wait to covert until the levels drop
If you carry on with the conversion it really doesn't matter what's in the pool. The chlorine will deal with everything. :D

2) How long before the kids can swim again (this is obviously a contributing factor of when we start the process. It's about to get toasty in Indiana)
Thank you!

One of the largest downfalls of the conversion is the pool will be out of service for at least a week, but it's not uncommon for a week-in-a-half or two week conversion to occur. It all depends on how hard you hit it and how often you test/add chlorine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That was about all it was. No as impressive as I was hoping for!

Question: I added the chlorine using pool math and we are an hour out and registering over 15ppm (I quit adding the drops when I got to that). We are obviously over. We are going to wait and check again in 2 hours. Are we missing something?

Yes, you’re missing the expected.....a large drop in FC during the first steps of the conversion.

How much chlorine did you add??
Can you describe how you’re preforming the test??

Got ya

There’s a chance your pool maybe smaller than you think. Let’s see how future additions turns out.

Really need some guidance now please. We are on day 4 and at 17 gallons of 10% chlorine used. When we tested first thing this morning we were at 11.5ppm 4 hours later 5ppm. Are we still attempting to maintain the 15ppm through the day or are we at the part where we mainly add/test at night and again in the morning?

Thank you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.