2 speed pumps

Hayseed

Bronze Supporter
Jun 7, 2018
Keyser, WV
If I were to use a two stage pump, and figured on running that pump on low for 16 hrs instead of the normal 8, could I get by with a smaller sand filter, seeing as how the water would not be so vigorously be entering the sand filter. I saw a video where using the two stage pump on low 24 hrs a day was cheaper than the one speed pumps using only 8 hrs a day. Would a two stage 1hp pump and a 19" sand filter be a good size for an oval pool with 12000 gal.

Filter sizing is usually based on pool size and debris load and season. We recommend as large a filter as possible, regardless of the pump size.

1hp 2 speed would be fine for your pool and a 19" sand filter is a good size.

Thanks for the info, I know too big on the pump is not good and sizing the filter bigger is better, could I go up a size with the filter, or is 19 a little big? Trying hard not to make wrong first choices. Do you try to go with 2 inch pipe or is 1 12" appropriate? I guess it depends on style of pump but haven't gotten either yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Four months for the season is pushing it here. Only two people using pool for mostly all the time. Debris might come from nearby tree but nothing else but birds

19" is a good size for you. But bigger would reduce cleaning frequency even more, although if you keep the chemistry balanced, you might go the season with the 19"

Go with 2" pipe everywhere you can and just reduce where needed.

I have a 12K pool and I'm very glad I have a 24" filter. I could have gone 21" I reckon. Storms here add junk and dust to the pool, and monthly to every six weeks backwashing is about normal for me. Great decision to go two speed. I'll bet you can get your hours down to around 4-8 on low speed. I like 2" as well because I think it will save you back the extra few dollars in the long run.

Thanks for all the information. I will have a 9000 gal pool so I guess 21" would be just right. Where is a goog place to buy a 21 inch sand filter! I have done some searches, have found these places to have very expensive filters, to me. They were around 400 on average, is this typical? I have yet to find a pump filter combo with the two speed pump. If buying a pump from one place and filter from another, what is involved in joining the two? Would I have to make sure they were compatible somehow? I have found that when looking at these pumps and filters they don,t really give you a lot of detail about the plumbing involved, for that matter not a lot of any helpful information. I think they just believe that people buying these products already know the the ropes.

You can google and find the manuals which is often helpful, but in a nutshell, you use plumbing fittings and pipe to adapt from and to your existing piping and also between the pump and filter.

Try starting here: How To Set Up In Ground Pool Equipment - Part 0 - Overview - INYOPools.com and read/watch as many as you find helpful.

When you get a chance, add a signature describing your pool. There's a link in my signature "read before posting" which has all the instructions for getting the most from the forum. Come on back with questions/comments anytime :)

I got antsy trying to find the proper combination for this pool and just ordered the pool pump and filter from them. Growing tired of the hunt to find just what to buy, there are just to many choices, for pool equipment, and to hear their pitches theirs is always the best, in the market for a good middle of the road price wise robot, or is it not that much trouble cleaning with hand held vacs not that I know anything about them either.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have my 2 speed on a timer... 4 hours in the Morning, and 4 in the evening (6-10 for each am and pm).
It is set to low speed... the only time it gets put on high speed is if I am manually vacuuming, or backwashing the filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.