Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine reading is red!

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine reading is red!

Help. I'm drowning with a problem with my tiny 1 meter deep pool for my kids. After some pump issues and a replacement pump being fitted, a week of working to get the water sparkling again and the green cloudiness out, I've a beautiful looking pool. My problem is that when I do the simple chlorine test by adding the 5 drops, it turns very yellow and then red. Blood red!! I am using the chlorine test drops correctly and not the ph test drops. Any ideas???
    35k gal 850sq ft french gray plaster, Jandy JEP1.5HP ePump, Pentair 60sq DE filter, Pentair Intellichlor IC40, 10 Fafco sunsaver 12'x4' panels with Goldline GL35. Laars lite 325k BTU NG heater, Hayward Colorlogic 4.0 LED light. Plumbing: 2" PVC, No main drain, four 1" returns, 1 skimmer with 2 wall drains, one 1.5" suction cleaning port.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine reading is red!

What kind of pool/pump is it?

What brand of test are you using?

What kind of chlorine did you use to clear up the water, and when was the last time you added any?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!!

Your chlorine level is 'through the roof' Stop adding chlorine for now and let the levels drift down. Also - with chlorine that high your pH test is probably showing higher than it actually is (the excessive chlorine is messing with the colors of both the tests)

If you want to know ~ how high the cl level is you can dilute the pool water with distilled water (or any other water known not to have ANY chlorine in it) - it's easy to do if you use shot glasses so a search for 'shotglass method' should give you some info
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

4. Back To Top    #4

kids peeing in the pool?
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

5. Back To Top    #5

If my kids peeing in the pool is resulting in the red chlorine test then the pool is the least of my problems!

Thanks for your answers/questions.....

Yes it is a new pump just installed but surely it is only circulating and can't be adding anything to the water.

The chlorine test kit is the one I've always used and has always had "readable" readings in the past.

I stopped adding chlorine 8 days ago and the sun has been brilliant (34 celcius) since so if it were simply the cl being too high, surely the sun would be kicking it back by now?

Ta again for further input.
    35k gal 850sq ft french gray plaster, Jandy JEP1.5HP ePump, Pentair 60sq DE filter, Pentair Intellichlor IC40, 10 Fafco sunsaver 12'x4' panels with Goldline GL35. Laars lite 325k BTU NG heater, Hayward Colorlogic 4.0 LED light. Plumbing: 2" PVC, No main drain, four 1" returns, 1 skimmer with 2 wall drains, one 1.5" suction cleaning port.

6. Back To Top    #6

I was thinking that you were seeing the dark color then a shift due to reading first high chlorine, then reading combined chlorine. (I am still hoping a por will be along as I am out of my depth here)

The combined chlorine would be a natural result from having just gotten past the green algae stage. The green algae was probably due to the pump issues, I may have skipped over that part and just noticed the pool and kids part. (wet suits are so very hard to get off so kids will often just pee in the pool)
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

7. Back To Top    #7

I wouldn't bet on the cl coming down very quickly if you had enough to kill the algae bloom, given the kit you have

Forget the pee, it'll only help you lower the cl :P

Somehow you overdosed the cl It can be helped to lower by letting the kids pee in the pool - but we don't advise that

Again, a GOOD kit would be able to tell us better what's going on

We also don't have your other numbers (especially cya)
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

8. Back To Top    #8

I agree with anonapersona, the yellow at first would be your FC then a huge amount of CC on top of that is turning it red. Never seen red myself, although I did see a pretty intense brown once.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page