Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: getting bids for resurfacing fiberglass pool -what to expect

1. Back To Top    #1

getting bids for resurfacing fiberglass pool -what to expect

Anyone had experience with resurfacing a fiberglass pool?
    We have a 1950's-era in ground, rectangular (about 15 x 30 feet) pool. when we bought the house, the pool inspector said it would probably need resurfacing within the next few years b/c he could see some bubbling under the surface and some chips/areas where flakes about quarter size or smaller had flaked off.
    Planning to start getting bids on the work. Since I didn't get any replies on my posts re: contractor rec's, I'm wondering if I can at least get a little bit of info on what to expect from bids and what sort of work might need to be done (and what sort of work most likely wouldn't *need* to be done but might be presented as a "need to be done" in a bid, KWIM?)
    Thanks!
    1950's-era 17K gallon formerly fiberglass, newly replastered IG rectangle (~15x30'),
    Hayward S244S Sand Filter with Franklin Electric 0.75 HP motor and WhisperFlo WFE-3 pump
    Clear ThermaTex bubble cover
    Manual vacuum

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: getting bids for resurfacing fiberglass pool -what to expect

I'm wondering if installing a liner would be less expensive than re-fiberglassing?
    24,000 gallon inground freeform pool/spa circa 1983 (113 ft perimeter, 625 sq ft) with 350 gallon attached spill-over spa
    2007 2 HP, three-phase Hayward TriStar pump which is powered by an Ikeric VS-200 variable speed drive system
    1983 Laars XE Pool/Spa Heater Type ES 400,000 BTU, 1998 Hayward Super Star-Clear C-4000 cartridge filter (400 sq ft, 4 separate cartridges)
    1998 Polaris 380 pressure-side cleaner w/ 3/4 HP booster pump
    One skimmer :( and one PoolSkim :), One Supervision Galaxy LED pool lamp, Second story solar panels
    Hayward/GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 (replaced 1983 vintage dual circuit Intermatic timer)

3. Back To Top    #3

I can't speak for your area, but down here (San Diego) the fiberglass companies don't last more than a couple of years! Tough to get support when they are gone!

I personally would not fiberglass my pool, and I have seen many that are chalky, bubbling, have separation (very sharp edges!) and release fibers into the pool, creating itchy swimmers! The plaster companies also charge more to remove the fiberglass (it has to go to HazMat) once you decide to get it redone.

My question would by why you would want to use fiberglass? Is it just because it is in the pool now, or do you have structure damage under the existing fiberglass (that is why alot of pools get fiber-glassed)?

Bruce

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by simicrintz
    My question would by why you would want to use fiberglass? Is it just because it is in the pool now, or do you have structure damage under the existing fiberglass (that is why alot of pools get fiber-glassed)?
    The pool was here long before we bought the house (3 years ago) and fiberglass is what it is. I have no idea what the pool looks like under the existing fiberglass, only know that there are many places where it's bubbled and/or chipped off, and there's one small (~6-8") crack near the skimmer. I'm a novice pool owner with no idea what the different options are for addressing these issues so I'm hoping to learn a bit more before talking with contractors
    1950's-era 17K gallon formerly fiberglass, newly replastered IG rectangle (~15x30'),
    Hayward S244S Sand Filter with Franklin Electric 0.75 HP motor and WhisperFlo WFE-3 pump
    Clear ThermaTex bubble cover
    Manual vacuum

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

simicrintz,

I think OP is saying they have a 100% Fibreglas pool......not another kind of pool that has been coated with fibreglas.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    simicrintz,

I think OP is saying they have a 100% Fibreglas pool......not another kind of pool that has been coated with fibreglas.
    Oops I read it as an old pool (before I thought they made fibreglas pools) and thought it was concrete. Sorry 'bout that!

Bruce