TFP Guide
Jun 7, 2018
Alamo, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
It’s amazing that everything at Leslie’s costs double what everything costs elsewhere. And yet I shop there because when I need a pool chemical or supply right now, I want them to stay in business near me. I can’t let them go out of business. Sigh.

I get all my pool chemicals from Walmart, besides Muriatic Acid which I get at a local farm supply store. Any hardware I order online since its usually less than half of what Leslie's sells. Went in our of curiosity a few months back and they had a similar pump to mine that was rated at a lower HP than mine, for almost twice what I got mine for. Even the floats there are outrageously high.

Not speaking about the bad advice but higher prices for a local store isn't all that unique. Same happens with sports gear, car parts, boat parts and no doubt lots of other items.

I get acid at Leslie's as they're in a really convenient location. Caveat emptor.

I will buy salt or MA from them if I have some sort of coupon. Coupon plus Veteran discount helps to offset higher prices. I think this is about to stop (at least for awhile) since my PB lives literally 8 min from my house he said he would just pick up whatever I need at his cost! I was his first build in our young community and he just signed his 9th contract in our development :)

I have never stepped into a Leslie’s or any other pool store. What do TFPers get there that isn’t available at the nearest big box, home improvement or grocery store, especially if everything is supposed to be twice as expensive?

I got my MA (31%) at Home Depot.

I did go to Pinch a Penny recently. Their prices are a little bit better than Leslie‘s, and there are always coupons. I went in to get a specific type of pool float that was only sold by them in this area. I have also bought sand from them in the past.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What are you talking about? Leslie's is the second greatest advertisement for TFP ever! If their advice and products were clearing pools at a reasonable cost this site wouldn't be nearly as popular as it is.

I wouldn't shed any tears for Leslie's. They are a huge company and have gobbled up every viable alternative except small mom and pop outfits in my area. Their only competition in the greater Houston area is on the other side of town, about an hour away from me.

I get the 31%MA at Home Depot or Lowe’s here. They both carry it and have tons of it. It’s in the outside area and it’s about $12 for a box with two 1 gallon bottles.

The only chemical or actually anything that I bought at leslies since adopting TFP last June is MA 31.5% for about $11 for 2, and I used Leslie bucks for those.

I will probably use them for big ticket items when they have sales, for instance they are selling pentair pool equipment at %20 off so a pentair superflow is $695, and they'll install it for about $125 with the full 3 year warranty (plus rebates and leslie bucks) so when the right sale comes around I might use them to put in a heater or LED pool light in the near future. Their credit card offers up to 2 years interest free, they give you leslie bucks back for everything you buy (including bonuses for some), and you qualify for rebates on much of the hayward/Pentair equipment.

Last year I bought my hayward 40K extended SWG and Pentair VST 2 on 2 year interest free for about $2600 installed, got $200 in rebates $300 in leslie bucks $2100 for both of those installed was pretty good compared to what anyone else offered and I'm not the installer type, plus you lose the pentair warranty and both rebates if you install yourself. So Leslies has their place but I would never buy anything like CYA, PH+ (coughebaycough) or pool filters (coughamazoncough) from them. :stirpot:

EDIT: just noticed the ultratemp 70K pentair heatpump is $1959 right now, I think I'm gonna call leslies this weekend lol

Do you have a HD near you?

I had to search... no one in the store knew what I was talking about. Found it in paint section.

I get the 31%MA at Home Depot or Lowe’s here. They both carry it and have tons of it. It’s in the outside area and it’s about $12 for a box with two 1 gallon bottles.

Maybe it's a CA thing, or a local Lowes thing. My Leslie's sells 2 gals of 31% for around $14, less when they send me coupons, so it's reasonable. Not worth driving to the next town for Home Depot, even if they do have the 31 (online, they only advertise the 14%).

I supposed I should look in the paint section, I've only been looking in the pool section.

Thanks to TFP, I look at the chlorine pallets and shake my head. 2018 stock piled on top of 2017 stock, the "secret" date code known only to us TFPers. My Leslie's chlorine doesn't have date codes on their chlorine, so even though they have an OK price, I can't trust their stock.

Jeez, I buy 31% MA at Thompson's Farm Supply for about $4.50 a gallon. Of course since adding borates to my pool my pH hasn't moved from 7.3 in over a month now, so won't be buying any MA in the near future hopefully.

I will probably use them for big ticket items when they have sales, for instance they are selling pentair pool equipment at %20 off so a pentair superflow is $695, and they'll install it for about $125 with the full 3 year warranty (plus rebates and leslie bucks) so when the right sale comes around I might use them to put in a heater or LED pool light in the near future. Their credit card offers up to 2 years interest free, they give you leslie bucks back for everything you buy (including bonuses for some), and you qualify for rebates on much of the hayward/Pentair equipment.

Good to know. Thanks.

They send me coupons in my email. And they have the perfect water sample bottle, with a squirt cap that makes metering water into a test vial a snap, which they'll give you for free. Yes, bees can sting you, but they, too, have their purpose!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.