Letting chlorine drift down after slam. ? About daily liquid chlorine maintenance

fkeeley

Bronze Supporter
May 18, 2018
PA
Hello all.....

Just got over a particularly nasty CC issue. I’ve successfully slammed.

I have a question in regards to the daily liquid chlorine maintenance.

So 1x per day I should be testing my water and treating to my target chlorine?

so according to pool school my target chlorine is 4 (cya 40).

Heres where the question comes in....

For example I started at 5 am with a FC level of 12 ( cc .5 or less) and just tested at 1930 and have a FC level of 6 (cc .5). So I’ve lost 6ppm throughout the day. Hot sunny 91 degrees pool uncovered.

So if I’m losing more chlorine than my target how do I compensate for that ? Like if it drifts down to 4 by tomorrow morning, in theory I would have no chlorine left by tomorrow evening.

Also, can I add liquid chlorine with my solar cover on or is that not recommended.

With your FC at 12 with a CYA of 40 you would lose more than your normal amount. For now, target a 3 ppm loss per day (might be less if the solar cover stays on during the daylight hours). I would suggest using Target Level in [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] for what you want left in the pool when you test and dose with LC.

You can add chlorine with the solar cover on. Be sure the pump runs for at least 30 minutes after the addition.

Look at the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] Marty linked to. If your CYA is 40 - minimum FC is 3 and target is 5-7.

You never want FC to go below 3. If you test in the morning and FC is 4, add liquid chlorine to get to FC 7 (or 8 even). Given you are guessing you will lose about 3ppm per day, that gives you a buffer to never fall below FC 3. If you wait until evening to add, you will most probably fall below 3 if the AM test (before adding chlorine) was 4.

Okay so once I see a pattern establish, for example if my pool loses 3ppm every day I should be adding to 7 at a minimum to keep my target of 4. Think I got it.

I will check in am and see where I am with chlorine. Will turn pump on and add chlorine in the am if need be then get myself on a nightly schedule w/ spot checks in the am To kind of establish a pattern / make sure those CC aren’t still a lurking issue.

Alternate note and certainly not worth its own thread but If somebody wanders upon it here great. My neighbors pine trees are pollinating my pool.... is there anything i need to do beyond near constant vacuuming & brushing? 673FCE4A-B246-477B-AC0C-8A13E9910636.jpgD30614DA-7446-4B04-AE97-0C5E4A45BAE1.jpg

I posted the same question in a different thread...under the wrong section though. I loss about 3-4ppm of FC daily. I add chlorine about 2twice a day because of the hot weather we are having. I push my FC to 8ppm every night, and make sure it's at 8ppm in the morning too. By evening time, my FC has dropped to 5ppm. This irritates me to no end and I just posted a question about this a few minutes ago. I guess this is normal.

I posted the same question in a different thread...under the wrong section though. I loss about 3-4ppm of FC daily. I add chlorine about 2twice a day because of the hot weather we are having. I push my FC to 8ppm every night, and make sure it's at 8ppm in the morning too. By evening time, my FC has dropped to 5ppm. This irritates me to no end and I just posted a question about this a few minutes ago. I guess this is normal.

You really should be losing 1ppm or less overnight. So if you test in the evening and dose to the upper end of target range, you should be good until the next evening - unless you have a heavy bather load during the day. Losing 2-4 ppm per day is normal.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay so once I see a pattern establish, for example if my pool loses 3ppm every day I should be adding to 7 at a minimum to keep my target of 4. Think I got it.

I will check in am and see where I am with chlorine. Will turn pump on and add chlorine in the am if need be then get myself on a nightly schedule w/ spot checks in the am To kind of establish a pattern / make sure those CC aren’t still a lurking issue.

Alternate note and certainly not worth its own thread but If somebody wanders upon it here great. My neighbors pine trees are pollinating my pool.... is there anything i need to do beyond near constant vacuuming & brushing? View attachment 78938View attachment 78939

Just to clarify, target is a range - at your CYA of 40, that range is 5-7. It's better to dose to the high end of the range (even a point or two higher is okay). Remember - it is safe to swim with FC at or above minimum all the way up to shock level for you CYA based on the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. FC being a little higher than target range is much safer than below the minimum listed for your CYA.

As for the pollen issue - brushing, filtering and vacuuming. Putting a hair net on theskimmerbasketwill helpcapture it before itenters the filter. It will be over soon - with the late start to spring, you are seeing the pine pollen later than normal. Maybe asking the neighbor to consider trimming the trees back will help you next year.....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.