Is it possible

That I'm burning off my full amount of chlorine everyday? The cya isn't fully dissolved yet. The pool has only been filled for 4 days. Everyday that I've tested FC from the previous day it hasn't even turned pink, so that's 4 days of 185 oz at 6 percent. Granted is is 98 degrees in SE Texas. Is this normal?
and while I have y'all on here how long after putting in the bleach is it safe to swim?

Hey Jackie! :wave: IT'S HOT! I know. But you should have FC at all times. Can you post your K-2006 test results please so we know what you have to work with?

After adding bleach, I usually let it mix for about 30 minutes before doing my cannonballs.

Ok. I haven't ran a full panel yet because I was still working on getting the iron out and the cholorine right. Once my toddler shuts his eyes, I'll run out there and do the full panel and post the results.

- - - Updated - - -

I targeted for 40

- - - Updated - - -

One more question, I've been testing from the opposite end of the pool. Should I be testing at the inlets?

40 isn't terrible, but with this past week's heat, I'd be at 50. My pool is 100% full sun all day. I'm at a CYA of 50 and I lose about 2.5 ppm of FC in 24 hrs. Each evening I add about 1/2 gallon of HEB Bravo bleach to the pool. Your set up is slightly smaller than mine, but still fairly close. There's always a chance Jackie that if your FC dipped too low for too long in this heat, you may have developed some algae. Is your water hazy at all? See anything odd?

Also .. iron? Are you out in the burbs? On a well or something?

I've been testing from the opposite end of the pool. Should I be testing at the inlets?
I test from the deep end about 18" down, but shouldn't matter really as long as you test from the same location each day and do so when the water is well mixed.

Haha, I'm definitely way out...in the Backwoods ��. Well the water is still semi yellow as the last of the iron is finding its way to the filter. So that screws the results of "what the water looks like" but I did notice a film starting on the surface today. Uhggg I really hope it's not the start of alge

Well, if it is algae, you know what's needed right? …….. a SLAM Process. But before we get too far ahead of ourselves, let's do this:

- Increase your FC to about 8-10 for this evening. Take one last reading before bed and take another one in the morning before that hit sun creeps-up over the horizon. This will be your Overnight Chlorine Loss Test test. If you lose more than 1 ppm of FC overnight, you have a problem and should consider a SLAM. If you don't lose more than 1 ppm of FC overnight, your recent depletion of FC was attributable to the lack of CYA which you are still waiting to see increase in the water.

Even with well water, it has to be algae-free before you can do any final iron management. But it sounds like you're familiar with the iron monster, so that's good.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way …. the stabilizer you added ….. was it by using the "sock" method? If so, are you squeezing it often?

Okay

cya: 40-50. I couldn't decided if I could really still see the dot or not lol
ph 7.0 to 7.2
fc: really really high. I got to 23drops and it still didn't get to colorless. Injust put what bleach in 30 mins ago.

- - - Updated - - -

Well I did it by pillowcase method instead of sock lol and yes I litterally squeezed the last of it an hour ago.

Sound like your FC is 11.5 and did you test for CC?

Once the sun goes down test again. Then test in the morning to see how big of a loss you may have. If it’s more than. One you may have an algae issue and need to slam.

With full sun and this heat daily drops between 2-3 isn’t uncommon.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When you did the FC test you said it did not get to colorless. Did you use the 10 ml water sample for the test. If so, each drop until clear is 0.5 ppm FC.

You are safe to swim in the water up to SLAM level based on your CYA. You stated above your CYA was 50. So your SLAM level FC is 20 ppm.
You should also be able to see the bottom of the pool in the deep end before you go swimming.

I used the 25ml sample. Honestly I don't know what is wrong with me today, Normally I'm smarter than this. I'm taking my butt back to oool school to refresh, just so I don't have to keep asking you all. I'm sorry for my stupidity today. Can I blame it on the heat? So if the 25 ml is .2 that's 5 drops per 1ppm. I got to 23 and gave up because I didn't want to use my whole bottle lol. So I was at 4.6ppm at that point.

Ill do as suggested and retest (at 10ml) when the sun goes down, I'll also test for CC to make sure there is none of that! Can I ask one more favor? Can I get a link to where I can buy refills for my test kit, I feel like i may need them soon

Blame the heat! That's what I'm doing ALL week. :) For future FC tests, just do the following:

10ML water sample with one generous scoop of power & mix. Count drops until clear and divide by 2. (i.e.. 20 drops = FC of 10)

For refills, go to the TF-100 link below in my sig. They have all the refills. :)

Thank you all so much! I stinking love this site! Lol

anyways...
for my over night test
FC 6ppm
CC .5

ill check it first thing in the morning and throw my results up here, but I'm not hopefully it's looking pretty cloudy, I think a slam may be in the near future...whomp whomp whomp

Just a suggestion, we still have some sun on our pool and the light is out. Probably there too right? If your schedule allows, I'd wait until about 9:00pm or more to take that last FC reading for the night. Maybe increase the FC just a little more as well to about 8-10? I think your water could use it based on the stress its been under lately. Make sure to take the morning OCLT reading before the sun hits the water. :wink: No sleeping in. Sorry.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.