How to connect the new Pentair IntelliConnect to SwimPure AQR SWG?

May 27, 2018
Dallas
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this excellent forum. I've been reading a lot of good posts, but could not find my answer, so decided to start my own thread here!

I've installed a Pentair IntelliConnect WiFi (product number 523317). You can see the details of the product here:https://pentairpool.com/en/products/automation/intelliconnect

The current versions of software are:
Host Firmware: 1.1.0.0
WiFi Firmware: 1.0.0.1108​

Now, this controller has 2 only 2 wires for RS-485 - Yellow (Data +) and Green (Data -).

In my discussion with Pentair tech support, they assured me that my SWG Aquarite Hayward SwimPure (release version 1.55, Product Name AL-0) would work since it's the same across the board...

However, when it comes to wiring, the AQRite has 4 wires for RS-485
1. RED = Power
2. BLK = Data +
3. YLW = Data -
4. GRN = Ground​

First question - do I need to provide the power myself from an external source to wires 1 (RED) and 4 (GRN) on the AQRite board since its not available on the other side.

Second question - do I need to remove the jumper (primary/secondary) on the AQRite board to make it work with an external controller, or it's just needed when multiple AQRite are present on the bus?

Thanks in advance!

fgm,

Welcome to TFP... a great place to find the answers to all your "Connection Issue" questions.. :shark:

This is the first time I have see the IntelliConnect and think that it will have a lot of uses for simple automation systems...

It looks like it will solve several automation issues that I see here everyday...

That said, I was not aware that Pentair automation could control the Hayward salt cells... Just because they both have RS-485 does not mean they talk the same "language"... :p

I will be very interested in knowing if you can make this work and would really appreciate feedback one way or the other...

Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to your questions... but I do know the IntelliFlo pump only uses the +/- data lines... so if the device you are connecting to has it's own internal power supply, I would assume that the power and ground are not required...

Thanks for the heads up about this product...

Jim R.

Thanks Jim and Manny - some good news to report today.

First, Happy Memorial Day if you are in the US!

Here is my wiring between the IntelliConnect and the AQ-RITE (SwimPure Plus). This wiring is also in line with the documentation of the AQ-RITE.

AQ-RITE Documentation (it's not for IntelliConnect, but Pentair is consistent on their wiring/colors):

Screen Shot 2018-05-28 at 4.35.44 PM.jpg

My Wiring:

AQ-RITE Power Supply IntelliConnect
----------- ------------ --------------
4 GRN GND ____________ 0V (Ground)
3 YEL 485B ______________________________________ GRN -
2 BLK 485A ____________________________________ YEL +
1 RED +10V __________ +10V

According to many sites, 485 B should be (+) and 485 A should be (-). And so, 485 B (+) (BLK wire 2) should be connected to YEL + on IntelliConnect. If so, nothing really happens. The "Remotely Controlled" LED never comes ON at all.

So, here we go:

1. After providing power to the AQRite board on the RS-485 port, on the pin 4 (GRN GND) and pin 1 (RED +10V), I was able to the have communications establish.
  2. The communications sequence looks like this:
    1. At power up, the "Remotely Controlled" LED lights ON color green.
    2. Then after a few second, the "No Flow" LED goes ON red, the "Remotely Controlled" LED goes OFF.
    3. After a solid 10 seconds of that "No Flow" red LED going on, the "Remotely Controlled" LED gos ON Green again, and "No Flow" stops
    4. and it repeats that cycle between steps 2 and 3.
  3. I tried to change the "Product Name" AL-0 to AL-5, and other combinations. But no good results.
  4. The web page on IntelliConnect refreshed with some information.
  5. I can tell the changes of "Product Name" between AL-0 and AL-5 did something since a 'Communication Error" will show up in RED on the webpage.

For the rest, it's hard to tell since the salt level reported was exactly the one on the SWG, but the temperature different (72F instead of 83F at the SWG).

The Web server logic (or the smart phone app) is not clear at all. I'm sending email to their tech support for help. I'm pretty sure they have diagnostic page somewhere or special menu they can access remotely. That's the beauty of having this controller connected to the Internet.

So, it's not yet 100% compatible, however some level of communications is taking place, and looking to see how Pentair can make it work or diagnose it remotely.

I should connect soon my IntelliFLow VSF to my IntelliConnect. Should be okay. I will continue to research if this "No Flow" flashing red LED means something.

Thanks
G

PS: I tried to remove the Primary/Secondary jumper. No change.

Here are some updates from Pentair Technical Support. Nice person and very responsive. Even if the update is not what I expected, the good news is that this is all software at the end, and they can change their mind and make an update other the internet. Crossing my fingers they will see the value to support more than their SWG models.

Good morning sir,
I have to apologize to you, because the tech I spoke to last week was incorrect. I got in touch with the IntelliConnect manager who was out last week and he states it will only make a full data connection to the IntelliChlor. All our other automation systems talk with any salt cell equipment, so I myself am surprised it will not work on this new equipment piece. It must have been engineered purposely to only directly talk with Pentair units. You will still be able to turn it on and off of course but it just will not reflect the salt levels.

Regards,

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.