Jandy Fusible Link Errors

May 27, 2018
Ottawa
I've spent waaaaay too much money on this -- 3 different companies/pool techs, and the problem still occurs about 3-5 times a season.

I have a Jandy LRZ heater. (The top says LRZ, but the inside specs look to be LRZE since it has the universal control and the same PIB as here): https://www.fwwebb.com/docs/gas/JandyPoolHeaterTroubleshootingGuides.pdf

I think I've narrowed the issue down to 2:
1) The topmost fusible link assembly near the vent keeps blowing. After doing some reading, it sounds like I should be using a fusible link with red markings (i.e. rated for 464 Fahrenheit or 240 Celsius). Presently that's not the case -- I'm just using the 'standard one'.
2) Opening/closing the universal control panel causes it to reset/reboot? I suspect there could be a short here, or perhaps it's supposed to do that by design (i.e. display is supposed to turn off when closing, and on when opening?). In fact, when the LECD error comes up about the fusible/link error, after about 5-6 resets the error goes away, and I didn't even have to change the fusible links...

I've done all the obvious things, like clearing the vent at the top from debris, replacing <both> fusible links when I get the error, but even replacing them sometimes gives the error until I reboot 5-6 times.

My questions are as follows:
1) Should I use the red fusible link nearest to the vent? I figure this would "blow" the fusible link assembly less often.
2) Should I consider replacing the universal control (if the shorting out/rebooting isn't normal)? Could it simply be a short somewhere between it and the PIB? (i.e. just simply replace the wires, not the control or PIB?) Is there a way to find out if it's the PIB vs the control?

Looking for some suggestions. $750 in "repairs" so far. My best option right now is to keep about 7-10 spare fusible links and replace them when they blow... That doesn't sound right, though.

Thank you in advance.

Maybe a sooted heat exchanger. Pull out the burner tray and wash the heat exchanger down from the top and then up from the bottom and back from the top.

Possible issue with the control if you have to reboot it so many times. Check wiring first.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.