High CYA trying to drain pool

Apr 27, 2016
Katy, TX
Hello,

We bought a house with our first pool a few years ago. I started reading TFP but got overwhelmed and passed the pool care on to my hubby. He has been taking care of it but he has not been following TFP’s method. So now we have a pool that keeps turning green and has really high CYA.

I’m trying to drain the pool but I cannot figure out how to get it to go past the skimmer baskets. We do not have a valve to shut the skimmer baskets off. There are two skimmers one has two holes plumbed and the other only has the hole furthest from the pool plumbed.

I’m thinking the 1st skimmer has one pipe going to the main drain and one pipe going to the pump. And the 2nd skimmer just has a pipe going to the pump. Neither skimmer has a float valve in it.

When I asked at the pool store about draining it because of the CYA they told me there was no way to drain it without renting a pump. They also told me to just add water to the bottom of the pool and let it over flow overnight.

I’m not understand what the point of the main drain is if it doesn’t pull water from the pool. I know it’s needed for circulation but in order for it to help circulate it seems like it would need to pull water from the bottom. I will add pictures in a few mins.

Another question. We have noticed when the pump starts up bubbles come out of the jet for about 30 secs then stop. The guy who replaced our pump said the bubbles were caused by the strainer basket’s lid. He said it must have shrunk. That didn’t seem likely to me but I bought a new lid for $60 and it does the same thing. Do we need to replace the strainer box? (I’m not sure what it’s called. It’s the black box just before the pump.)

I hope all that made sense. I’ve seen the error of my ways. I’m kicking myself for not listening to what I read on here a few years ago. I keep wondering when I’m going to stop needing to learn my lessons the hard way.

Last thing. I’m not sure what filter I have the writing has worn off.

Attachments

• E7786ADC-1E30-4808-B544-146C5759EE4B.jpg
    E7786ADC-1E30-4808-B544-146C5759EE4B.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 32
  • FA38E2AC-C4A8-4FB6-9B8F-5A8707851FFA.jpg
    FA38E2AC-C4A8-4FB6-9B8F-5A8707851FFA.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 31
  • C017DFD5-1393-48A1-B837-F515481D5F17.jpg
    C017DFD5-1393-48A1-B837-F515481D5F17.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 2B94250D-A44B-4CEB-9066-ACCC9BC82A8C.jpg
    2B94250D-A44B-4CEB-9066-ACCC9BC82A8C.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 33
Your pool companys advice was probably good ... either use an external pump to get water out below the skimmer. Or overfill the pool and drain a few times.

How high is your CYA in what gallons pool?

Do you have valves that can turn off the skimmer line to only pull from the main drain? I would not suggest fooling with the valves unless you understand what they control as you can damage equipment.

Edit ... i see your pics and you don’t have valves to only pull from the main drain.

Your filter looks like my Pentair FNS Plus 60 DE filter.

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: It sounds like you got some good, bad, and ugly advice before you found us. :) No worries. As Allen noted, it looks like whoever installed your main pump didn't do you the favor of installing a 3-way valve so that you could pull water form the drain only. That stinks. So now yet, you probably will have to rent or buy a submersible pump. Not the worse thing. You can get the fairly cheap or rent one from places like Home Depot. Just don't nickel & dime it. If you know the CYA is high, then drain as much water as you need now to fix the problem and move on. If you've been outside today, you know it's just as hot as it was yesterday. :sun: So, exchange enough water to get your CYA down to about 50. That's a decent place for a SLAM Process and good for a summer starting point when you're done. Remember, it's never good to drain all the water out of a pool. If you have to exchange a lot, don't go any lower than about 18 inches or so.

Use the PoolMath for all your anticipated dosage amounts. For testing, I hope you already have your TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit in-hand. If not, you can't do much. You MUST have accurate test results from one of those kits.

As for the air under the lid, it may have just been the O-ring, not the entire lid. Check to see if it was lubed. It not, lube it with silicone pool lube (i.e. Magic Lube). Post a full set of numbers for us so we can help you further.

- - - Updated - - -

The CYA is 100
To be sure, you should perform a diluted CYA test as outline on the TFP Pool School - CYA page starting at step #8. If your CYA is truly 100 on the nose, exchange 1/2 the pool for a new CYA of 50 - done. Then you can begin the SLAM Process.

- - - Updated - - -

With TFP care, it's all about the proper chemicals and levels, so make sure to use our guidance. You can find them in the TFP Table of Contents or just below in my signature (Vital Links).