Variable speed pump and opening pool

Feb 8, 2008
Milford, CT
First season opening my pool with our variable speed pump (MaxFlo 2302VSP). I wonder - what does everyone else do in regards to RPMs?

Do I just set it to max and walk away until the pool is clear?

Do I lower it off max to same some electricity, but assume it will take longer to clear that way?

I know it seems like a first world issue :) but I was curious. For now I have it running at 3000 RPM.

Thanks in advance.

-Chris

I do not have any knowledge on a 0.5 hp Northstar VS pump. But normally you can run it pretty low. Down to 1200 rpm?

As long as you are moving the water around and pulling through the filter it will take the same amount of time at high or low speed.

Take care.

Just noticed you have the new pump in the post but not in the signature! I would use 1200 rpm.

Last edited:
Yep sorry about that! I forgot to update profile, I will shortly.

I dropped it down to 2500RPM for now. I ran it at 1200 RPM earlier just to see how low I can go without my chlorinator yelling about no flow and 1200 still let it go...I didnt try to go any lower.

Ill run outside and drop it down to 1200. I cant even fathom how it will work but Ill try it!

An aside - it is crazy the size difference between my 0.5HP Northstar and the MaxFlo VS.

In your post you 'until clear'. Are you in a SLAM? You should not run your SWCG when in a SLAM.

Don't use the cal hypo for very long. It is raising our calcium hardness.

Liquid chlorine is the best to use during a SLAM.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.