Stand pipe, perhaps too short...

Okay, so I have done about everything I could to try to figure out what has been causing my dirty water to leak back into the pool when I turn on the pump. I changed the spider gasket (it actually didn't need changing, but I convinced myself to try to remove the gasket not knowing it was glued so I ended up replacing it), I checked the stand pipe for cracks, I checked the laterals for cracks, (broke a couple laterals trying to remove them so I could get the stand pipe out) and when I was pulling the pipe out I think I may have had a moment of clarity.

This sand filter is two years old. I have been having these same issues (dirty return water) for two years. My original filter was a 22 inch Carefree from Waterway. It developed a crack and I tried to replace it under warranty, but the vendor didn't have any in stock, so he elected to give me a 27 inch Millenium filter. My old multiport fits the opening of the filter exactly, BUT what I was thinking today is that perhaps it doesn't fit it exactly vertically anymore. There are two lips inside the receiving end of the multiport for the standpipe to slide into. I assume the last lip (furthest one in) is to butt up against and create a semi-permanent seal. When I take the mulitport and insert the stand pipe to this stop, the distance from the bottom of the standpipe to the surface of the multiport that would be flush with the top of the filter is 29 inches. I measured the depth of the Millenium filter and it's 30 inches from the bottom to the top of the opening.

How likely is it that this is finally my problem?If it is finally my problem, how do I fix it? My initial thought is to cut the PVC and rejoint it with an additional inch of piping.

I am about lose my mind...

Summary of what I have done this year.

New sand. Old sand was less than 2 years old. I didn't think it was a sand problem but putting in new sand was easier than putting in old sand back into the filter. I put 250 pounds of sand into a 27 inch Millennium filter. (I cannot find ANY specs on this thing).
I changed the spider gasket.
I checked the laterals and the stand pipe. All functioning, no cracks.
Added a one inch extension on to the bottom of the stand pipe in order to ensure a more snug fit into multiport.

I just vacuumed the pool and put a sock over the return. After vacuuming, I turned off the pump, disconnected the hose, RINSED until I saw clear water and then I tuned on the filter. I saw a minor plume of dust or pollen come out of the return. Annoying. What I didn't expect was to see the sock full of dead insect wings.

I really don't know what to do anymore.

**edited for clarity

Hey! :wave: You must be thinking you're talking to yourself in this thread. :blah::blah::blah: You're not. I was watching to see if anyone would assist with the standpipe issue, but now you seem to have that completed. So now the big issue is you're getting junk out of the returns after cleaning the filter and adding new sand right? Well, we know the sand is new. It was pool sand right? #20 silica? Did you add about 6 inches or so of water in the filter before dumping the sand to protect the laterals? Assuming everything in the filter is intact, then perhaps you just blew some residual junk out of the lines after the cleanup? If you continue to have issues, you might post a full set of numbers so we can see if there are any chemical issues to be concerned about.

CYA is below 30 - still adding stabilizer a few days at a time.
CH is zero.
pH is 7.5
Alkalinity is 90

Did my daily chemisty maintenance yesterday. Prior to adding chloring, FC was 1.5, CC was 0.5 or less. Today prior to maintenance it was FC 0, CC 0. For my daily chlorine I am adding to ensure that we are at FC 4 ppm.

Chemistry isn't my heartache at the moment.

Chemistry isn't my heartache at the moment.

It soon will be as you are letting your FC drop to zero.

Get at least 30 ppm of CYA in the water and follow the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.