Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need help closing.

1. Back To Top    #1

Need help closing.

Hello everyone. I have some questions about closing...every year before now we have just went to our pool store. They hand us what we need, we do it with no problems. Is that still okay to do that again this year? We haven't needed to buy chemicals from them since we finally got the hang of this (Kinda, at least I think we have). I've read on Pool School "How to Close Pool". I've also read the temp needs to stay at 60, I'll be sure to check that soon. I just removed the solar cover to help. It's been cooler here at night and we haven't been in it for a few weeks. I'm over it for the year! We're shooting to try to close this weekend.

Thanks in advance.
    24ft. AG, 13,500 Gallons
    Sand Filter
    Hayward Max Flow 1.5 hp
    "Trying BBB"

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need help closing.

What does the pool store hand you ? You would do the same as you normally have done in past years except this year just bring your pool to shock level with bleach. Depending on your climate its best to wait until the water cools to below 55 degrees (i think) so no more algae will go before you shock then close as you would normally do.
    There is an article in Pool School that tells you about "How to close/winterize your AG pool" you may want to read.
    Les
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I used to go to the pool stealer and buy a 'winterizing kit' for $50. Once I found TFP and read the ingredients, I realized I don't need it.

Last two winters I've just shocked and covered. Opened both times to crystal clear water with FC residual. YOu can use PQ 60 if you want.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys! That's exactly what we're gonna try to do this year. I've kept it at Shock level pretty much all week and it held overnight the first night. So we're putting the cover on today. It just seemed too easy. We'll see next year . Worst case we'll just shock it again when we open it, right?
    24ft. AG, 13,500 Gallons
    Sand Filter
    Hayward Max Flow 1.5 hp
    "Trying BBB"

5. Back To Top    #5

The secret next year when you open is going to be to get the cover off and get your water balanced before it gets warm enough (above 60) to support algae growth. Keep that in mind and you should be good to go !
    Les
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!