Startup after pool drain and acid wash

Strop

Bronze Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
Hi,

Just drained our pool and had the tile blasted and the plaster acid washed. Now its full again. Filter was cleaned at the same time and DE has been added. The Pump is back to running normal schedule of 8 hours per day. I haven't added any chemicals yet so wanted to get advice from the forum what to do next...

Just tested the water a few minutes ago and here are the results.

FC = 0.5
CC = 0.5
pH = 8.3
TA = 120
CH = 200
CYA = 0

I have 5 lbs of Cyanuric acid (powder form) and was told to dump the entire amount in the skimmer with the basket removed and also basket removed from the pump. 5 lbs seems too much and other posts on this forum suggest filling a sock with CYA and hanging it in front of one of the outlets or putting it in the skimmer basket. I also have a 1qt bottle of Bio-Dex Protect-All Supreme. I was told pour the entire bottle into the pool around the perimeter.

So what should I do next? Is the Bio-Dex necessary/good/bad or just a waste of money?

Footnote: I recorded the water meter numbers before and after the fill and calculated my pool volume to be 17,500 gallons. I had previously calculated the volume at 19,000 gallons. The pool is an odd shape so I think the meter is the more accurate number.

As always thank you to the countless people who make this forum possible.

Cheers!

Use PoolMath to calculate how much stabilizer is required to get you to 50ppm.
Add some bleach to get the FC up to 2ppm ASAP. As the CYA dissolves, make sure you increase the FC accordingly to follow the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA].
You should also lower the pH back into the 7s.

I have no idea what that Bio-dex stuff is, but guessing it is not needed for anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like that Bio-dex stuff is 20-40% citric acid and the rest is "proprietary" so who knows what is in it.

Oh, sorry, forgot to address that. NO.

Put it in a couple socks, tie them together at the top and hang them over a pole in front of a return jet a foot or so from the pool sides.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.