Pool Math...I am not sure I am understanding correctly.

pypeke

Silver Supporter
Jul 31, 2015
Southeastern Oklahoma
Using pool math, I enter the gallons of water in my pool. Then, I enter my current pH of 8.2 and what number I want to bring it down to...7.5. It says 22 oz of 31.45% Muratic Acid.

8.2 - 7.5 = 0.7 (amount it should lower)

If I use the section at the bottom "Effects of Adding Chemicals", and enter 22 oz of 31.45% Muratic Acid, it says it will lower pH by 0.33.

I think the note (see below in blue) means that because my pH is above 7.8 , then my 8.2 is NOT a small change. Therefore, that is why there is a discrepancy between the amount of MA suggested in the two different calculations.

So should I go by the first calculation of adding 22 oz because adding less is better? Then add more again after retesting? This is best?

Or should I go by "Effects of Adding Chemicals", and add 46 oz of MA to lower the pH by 0.69 (close to 0.7). Run a risk of lowering pH too much?

thanks.

"[FONT=&quot]Note: pH calculations are not exact. These numbers are only suggestive of the relative magnitude of the pH change you can expect. Small changes, +-0.4, with pH between 7.2-7.8, TA around 80-120, and Borate near zero will be approximately correct. The further you go from those ranges the less these pH changes will correspond to reality."

[/FONT]

Make sure that for any pH adjustment your TA is also set in the NOW column.

The "Effects ..." calculation makes assumptions about the TA and other parameters in your pool so it may not be as accurate for pH adjustments.

mickey4paws, thanks. They are both from pool math.

jblizzle, thanks. I wondered if some of the other numbers played into the calculations.

So set the gallons of water, the pH, TA and other boxes even if I am changing only one parameter? (I have only been entering the boxes on the one I needed to change.)

For example, if my FC is a good number already, I would fill in the goal and target as the same number because I am not changing the FC?

thanks again!

It is always a good idea to have every box filled in as some things are related.

The FC is independent, but many of the others feed into the pH adjustment.
And just about all are needed for the CSI calculation.

You want to be very careful with pH adjustments. The difference in amounts is because the Effects section uses some static assumptions about TA, starting pH etc.

When adjusting pH, I would only use 0.2-0.3 increments at most and also use the effects section to see what the volume added does to TA. You don’t want to lower TA more than 10ppm at a time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.