When to shockwhen I just got pool Chemistry where it need to be

Hi there. I've spent the last couple weeks trying to get all my test level right, and thanks to all of you at troublefreepool, I finally I have. So thank you. As of today my Ph-7.2 TA-100, Total Chlorine-5, and CYA is a little high at 60, but I was told by another member that that was ok. I didn't test Calcium Hardness because it's a vinyl pool. Me and my 2 children get in the pool everyday for 3-4 hours (starting as of a week ago) so I'm wondering should I shock right now, and how often do I shock. The last time we shocked was 3-4 weeks ago, but as I said we just start swimming in it 1- 1 1/2 week ago. I guess I'm being lazy by not spending the hour or two to read through the website to find the anwser, but I thought this would be much quicker.
My other queston is how often do I do all the tests in the TF-100 (I think that's what it's called. Don't have kit around at the moment) . But I know you need to test chlorine daily, but what about the other test? Just don't want to waist the test kit chemicals if I don't have to. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

'Shock' is a pool store/chemical industry term we do not ascribe to here at TFP.

We recommend you Maintain your FC according to the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] at all times. Stay in the Target level area.

If you do, your pool will stay clean and sanitary. But it does take adding chlorine EVERY DAY.

As far as testing -- read this Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

If your TA and CH do not change after a few tests, you can probably back off on the frequency of those. But if you are adding acid regularly, you should test TA at least weekly.

Take care.

Shock is a pool store product. SLAM is a procedure. No need to "shock" or add shock if water is clear, CC is .5 or less and you pass an OCLT.
FC daily
ph once or twice a week till you see how it is acting.
TA once a week
CYA monthly.

Now go spend a couple hours in Pool School! Well, at least after the holiday weekend. Have fun!

The 'shock' FC in the FC/CYA chart is a level of chlorine in a pool with a certain amount of CYA that will kill algae quickly but not harm people or pool equipment.

Shock you buy at a pool store is chlorine. Some comes with CYA (dichlor) or calcium (cal Hypo) in it. The liquid is sodium hypochlorite, same as bleach, liquid chlorine, etc.

You SLAM Process the pool water when it has abnormal chlorine usage from organics. Mostly algae. You do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to assist in determining if a SLAM is needed.

You would raise your FC to SLAM level based on the CYA ppm in the pool. You would then follow the SLAM process until you pass the three criteria; crystal clear water, 0.5 CC or less at AM test, and a successful OCLT.

I havent "shocked" my pool in 3 years.

As long as you keep the normal daily chlorine level at the required value (based on your CYA level), you wont ever have to "shock" your pool.

Thats the underlying basis for a TFP!

Greetings, melandcam. I’ve been working up some new language to help new forum members quickly get the gist of the TFP difference vs Pool industry lingo and I’d love your feedback. Tell me if this makes sense to you or assists in your understanding of our practices:

“TFP is based on science that says your free chlorine (FC) and stabilizer (cya) must be above a certain ratio for your water to stay sanitized. See [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

When water has gone swampy/green, this same science shows that raising the FC against the CYA level and maintaining it constantly for several days will clear the pool. We call that SLAM Process for “shock level and maintain.” Here’s how: SLAM Process

We only use unscented, plain bleach or “trade” liquid chlorine (sometimes erroneously called liquid shock) to do this in order to avoid increasing the cya level, which would then mess up the FC/cya ratio.”

Shock is a Verb, not a product, and to avoid confusion we instead refer to “Slam” to emphasize the importance of maintaining your shock level, which is specific to your CYA.

For chlorine products, we more precisely call them chlorine, dichlor (powdered chlorine with cya), trichlor (pucks with cya) and cal-hypo, which is powdered chlorine with calcium, often erroneously called shock by the pool industry, because that’s the “Action” the mfgs Intend you to take with it. In general, to maintain the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] ratio easily, we avoid using these types of chlorine, which all add either extra (and unwanted) CYA or in the case of cal-hypo, calcium, to the water. ”

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.