Roswell GA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60
Replumbed what I assumed was a leaking pipe out of my pump going into my filter. Still leaking and now wondering and pretty sure the leak is coming from the threads on the wet end. (Perhaps over tightened at some point?) Here are the before photos. How hard to change and where to find?
This is how I inherited the pool. It a terrible leak but one I am tired of seeing when I go behind the fence. :confused:

Attachments

• F42EF0F3-3A3C-46ED-831B-7CD6FED996A5.jpg
    F42EF0F3-3A3C-46ED-831B-7CD6FED996A5.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 40
  • B5B028F3-6D95-43E5-BBF5-A7F5E018318D.jpg
    B5B028F3-6D95-43E5-BBF5-A7F5E018318D.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 40
  • CE1E4B8E-8E6A-471C-8341-7839BC982FAD.jpg
    CE1E4B8E-8E6A-471C-8341-7839BC982FAD.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 40
None of that goop on the outside will help. The part needs to be unscrewed with all threads (male & female) cleaned really well. If the male adapter that goes into the pump is damaged, it should just be replaced. They're not that expensive. Once everything is clean, apply about 4 generous wraps of Teflon tape to the male threads. Some people also prefer to add some pipe dope to the threads as well and tighten snugly, but don't overtighten. Then check for leaks.

I will answer both of you. I replaced the piping and it’s still is leaking through the threads on opposite sides. Two little leaks that drip about once every 5 or 6 seconds. I cleaned the threads before I installed the new threaded pipe and used plumber tape wrapped about 8 times around. The leaks look slower than before but in the same place. Could the housing be cracked because someone over tightened it at some point? I did not see a crack but it is suspicious that it’s leaking in the same spots.

- - - Updated - - -

Custom Molded Products Hi-Temp Union, 2 Socket Tailpiece - 21063-200 - INYOPools.com, be better off using one of these and start over. Make sure the leak isn't in the tank body right under the threaded area

Kadavis,
dang. Wish I had seen that part before I did the install. May redo it at use that piece to try again.

Could the housing be cracked because someone over tightened it at some point?
If not cracked, perhaps out-of-round slightly? I wonder if the unit didn't get hot in the past and warp ever so slightly? Along with the (Teflon) threads, may use a little pipe dope next time as well?

I ordered the new union suggested above and will try it with Teflon tape and pipe dope in a few days. If not fixed this next time I may bite the bullet and get a advice on a variable speed pump and how that works with the SWG. I’m sure the neighbors behind me would appreciate the noise drop. I am lazily also thinking about adding the intelliPH MA pump system at some point. I’m not a huge fan of handling the MA. I can’t seem to pour it in the return and not get a Whiff of Acid cloud.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.