Hello from California!

Mighty_P

May 25, 2018
California
Hi Everybody!

My wife and I bought a home with an in-ground vinyl pool last summer. I've never owned a pool before and my wife thought we should just hire a company to take care of it for us. But, this is our "forever" home and I wanted to become an expert at managing our pool myself, so we'd know and understand what's going on with it. It's an old pool but seems to be in decent shape. It's got pentair whisper flow, sta-rite system 3, hayward auto-chlorinator, and a kreepy krauly. I believe it's about 20k gallons, but not totally sure. The local Leslie's pool store had the old owner in their system and they told me it's 20k, and I measured it and as best I can figure that's about right (the walls of the pool are very sloped, so it's an odd shape).

I had a green algae problem last summer, but I fixed it with the help of the people at Leslie's...but it was expensive. I somehow maintained the pool pretty well after that, although I spent a ton of money. I got my own Taylor 2006 test kit, but my results are always different than what Leslie's told me.

I sort of neglected the pool over winter time, and again battled algae this last week. I've been online a lot refreshing my knowledge and learning new things, and it's clear to me that the "Trouble Free Pool" community is the best resource out there, so here I am joining you :). I've decided not to have Leslie's test my water anymore, and just trust my own results from now on. Anyways, I've got the latest algae problem under control and plan to stay on top of things now, as it's so much easier to give my pool the time and attention it needs vs. battling major issues.

Here's what I've done so far as I prepare my pool for summer:

-Got new filters. The old ones were filthy and cracked. I cleaned them several times and squeezed as much life out of them as I could while battling the algae this last week, but now that the pool is clear I dropped the new ones in. The pressure was 30 on the old filters, and now down to 10 with the new ones. The pump is humming along, and I can literally see a current in the water now...much better circulation. I hope running the pump at 30 PSI this last year didn't cause too much wear & tear damage?

-Ordered new fins & bumpers for the Kreepy Krauly. The old ones were disintegrating and bits were in the filter. The Krauly itself looks really old, but it still picks up a lot of debris so I'm not sure I need to spend the money on a whole new vacuum this year. My question is should I leave the Krauly plugged in all the time or just put it in periodically? It seems to work better when I turn the valve so the krauly is 100% on and the skimmer is off. I can also do a 50-50 split and have them both going. Any advice would be appreciated.

-I removed the Hayward auto chlorinator, for now. It leaked terrible all last summer, so I replaced the ring and that helped. Because of where this thing is mounted, the tubes have to be bent to the point where they kink and leak, and last week a valve blew. It's just been a pain. And now I've learned that the tablets I put in there push my PH down, and I'm trying to bring my PH up right now. I feel like things would just be simpler if I manually added bleach every day or two.

Here are my test results from this morning:

-FC: 3.6 (I've been using cal-hypo this week...I just learned about using Bleach so plan to switch to that).
-PH: The test has been showing yellow all week, which I think means it's as low or lower than the Taylor 2006 can tell me. I dumped in 4 pounds of 20 Mule Team Borax last night and I thought the cal-hypo would've helped raise it, too. Maybe all the Trichlor pucks that were in before are causing it to stay low? I also ordered new reagents in case my have gone bad. I'm also planning on adding more borax.
-Alk: 80. I added some baking soda earlier this week.
-CYA 40
-Calcium Hardness...does this matter in a vinyl pool? I tested it last week, I think it was like 200

Leslies also tested for metals and phospates, which my kit doesn't test for. Should I get tests for these as well?

Cheers!

Mighty_P

Hi Mighty P!
Welcome to TFP.

The Taylor 2006 is a good kit, but it's lacking the FAS-DPD chlorine test kit. You can get one here. You can't maintain your pool per TFP without it. Its a critical test.
FAS/DPD Chlorine CC's test

jblizzle: This is not correct, it is the K-2005 that does not have the FAS-DPD test. OP is fine.

Kudos on getting rid of the chlorinator. Liquid Chlorine is an excellent alternative.

If you maintain your pool per TFP recommendations, you do not need to worry about phosphates, so you dont need that test kit. No worry about TDS either.

Metal tests are expensive and honestly not worth it to test for metals a time or 2 a year. ONLY, if you suspect you have metals, is when anyone at TFP might recommend a pool store test.

As for your question about CH - the answer is you don't have to worry about CH in a vinyl pool as long as doesnt get crazy high. 200 is fine.

I am assuming you have discovered pool math? and using that to determine how much of something to add to the pool?

Anyways,
welcome to the forum, and if you will kindly fill out your signature with pool details, people will be able to help you better if and when the time comes. The pool details are important to know when we make recommendations.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

So glad you have escaped the pool store merry go round. :goodjob:

The only thing the high pressure would have damaged is the cartridges ... and those are now gone :D

There is no issues with leaving your suction cleaner in the pool all the time. Up to you to find the right balance between the skimmer and the cleaner. Divert as much to the cleaner as you can and still have enough skimming to keep the surface clean.

Regarding the tablets, usually the acidity is not so much the problem as the rising stabilizer.

Low CH does not matter in a vinyl pool, but high levels can still cause problems.

There is no need to worry about phosphates as long as you are following the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA].

Are you SURE that you eradicated all the algae? I would suggest you perform the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test and verify (assuming your water is crystal clear).
If your water is not clear (or you see any algae) or you fail the OCLT, you should follow the SLAM Process process to start off on a good foot.

Thanks for the notes, everybody!

Yes, I have the FAS-DPD kit :cool:. I tested for chlorine at about 11am today, and it was 2.5. So down about 1.1 from yesterday morning.

I picked up some Clorox regular bleach 2 with cloromax today, it says 6% Sodium Hypochlorite and 5.7% active chlorine. They also had Regular Bleach Splashless, but it didn't show the ingredients. Which is the best Brand/Type of bleach to use?

Aloha!

-Mighty_P

I picked up some Clorox regular bleach 2 with cloromax today, it says 6% Sodium Hypochlorite and 5.7% active chlorine. They also had Regular Bleach Splashless, but it didn't show the ingredients. Which is the best Brand/Type of bleach to use?

It is not advisable to use the Cloromax bleach. It has additives that are unknown.

Get only PLAIN, non splashless, no scent, bleach. That is getting harder to come by. Many are now just getting liquid chlorine (same as bleach but 10% or 12.5%) from Walmart or Home Depot or a pool store. Just be sure to check the date. There will be a number on the bottle, 18XXX.
The XXX is the number of days in 2018 that the bottle was filled. Be sure it is no more than 45 days old.

Take care.

Best bleach? The highest strength for the cheapest!!

I'm getting 12.5% sodium hypochlorite, 1 gallon for $3.00, here in NJ. It's labeled as a pool shock.

Be careful with your FC being below 3.

Because your CYA is at 40, your FC (chlorine) needs to be kept a bit higher.

Check the chart here: Chlorine / CYA Chart

I have the same CYA level for my pool. Minimum is 3, target is 5-7. I usually add enough to hit 7... and add more when I hit 4 or under.

Thank you for the quick replies!

So I just took off the cover, and there are dark piles of a dusty substance scattered all over the bottom of the pool (see photo). Is that algae forming? Dead Algae? Some byproduct from the pool store chemicals I had been using? I had the same problem earlier this week, but the Krauly sucked it all up. Now it's back :(. I have the Krauly going again. Any advice? Since I don't have the proper bleach at the moment, should I add more cal-hypo tonight, or some of the Trichlor pucks?

IMG_4985.jpg

Most likely dead algae. Does it 'poof' away if you run your brush through it?

Use the cal-hypo right now. But not long term.

Thank you!

yeah, it just poofs away. The whole reason I waited to put in my brand new filters was because I wanted the old ones to get all that stuff out first. Oh well.

I added two pounds of cal-hypo and will leave pump running over night. Tomorrow I’ll look for new chlorine.

Cheers!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
borax is the best you can due to raise the pH and not impact the TA too much.
The only other alternative is to aerate the water a bunch which will drive the pH up.
Your TA of 90 should help pull the pH too.

My pump has a spout where I can connect a hose...if I run a hose with a sprinkler attachment spraying the water back into the pool, do you think that would be an adequate way of aerating the water?

Sure.

California is a big state --- do you have a city nearby?

It will also cause evaporation which will cool your water some.

alright I try it out!

I live in the East bay Area, about 30 minutes outside of San Fransisco on the other side of the bridge & hill. We have hot summers, with many days hitting triple digits. My pool doesn't have a heater (just a solar cover) and the water is quite nice :)