Pentair Triton II TR100 cracked...replace with same?

May 17, 2012
Mesa, AZ
My TR100 has cracked at the top and the leak is progressively getting worse. Not sure what caused the failure. The filter has a 2010 mfg date, which makes it 8 yrs old. We've been in the house for 6 years. My main question is do I replace it with the same filter, or should I look at other options? I assume I am not able to just by a new vessel and reuse all the internals?

20180524_191409.jpg

20180524_191348.jpg

I've been talking with some local pool professionals. I am getting different opinions and really don't know which way to go. Some say stick with the TR100 its the best filter ever. Others say switch to a Pentair Cartridge filter for better filter performance. Stating that the cartridge filter only needs to be cleaned every 6 months, no backwashing and better particulate filtering.

One professional in favor of the TR100 states that in 6 years time I will have spent double on the cartridge filter because of cartridge replacement costs. He also states that using glass beads in the TR100 is equivalent to a DE filter.

Any truth in any of this...all of this...or none of this?

Filter types are a personal preference. Here is a comparison stating pros and cons: Pool School - Pool Filter Comparison

Any filter type properly sized may only need to be cleaned 1-3 times per year.

If you go with a sand filter, stick with normal filter sand.

In AZ, backwashing can have some advantage to slow down the CH rise we get due to evaporation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.