Borax and Calcium additions

potterygirl

Bronze Supporter
May 10, 2018
Selma, NC
I would like to add borates to pool and need to raise calcium hardness as well. I am just beginning to balance pool for spring. Can I add Borax and Calcium Chloride at the same time?

Free Chlorine 4.7
Total Chlorine 5.4
Combined 0.7
pH 7.1
TA 79
Hardness 55
CYA 50
Borates 0

Currently pool is very cloudy, and blue-green and just finishing SLAM (which is why chlorine is still high)

Welcome to the forum.

There is no need for borax or calcium chloride in your pool.

The pH will rise on its own and you have a vinyl liner so CH does not matter unless very high.

If your pool is cloudy and blue-green, you need to complete the SLAM Process process.
Stay in SLAM until your water is Crystal Clear, you have less than 0.5 ppm CC in the AM test, and you pass a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.

Take care.

- - - Updated - - -

Your test results look suspiciously like a pool store test. But your Signature shows you have a TF100. Please confirm that the tests I just commented on are from your TF100.

Your pool needs to be cleared up with SLAM totally complete......

Passing the OCLT requires three things...

A. Pool water should be crystal clear with no sign of algae anywhere

B. CC's test result should be .5 ppm or less

C. You should not lose more than 1 ppm FC overnight.

Once those things are done, give yourself a week or so to make sure your FC level is staying where you want it (should be around 3-5 ppm).

CH in a vinyl pool is essentially irrelevant and borates is an option that should be considered AFTER A,B,C above are complete

I see you are testing with the TF-100 (that's great) but your results should never be in odd 1/10ths (FC=4.7 is not correct) Using the 10 ml sample, your resultant FC should be 4.0, 4.5, 5.0, etc. etc. Please review your testing procedures and post FC again.

Thank you mknauss for the quick reply! I did not know about not needing the Calcium Chloride. Yeah, one less thing to worry about! As far as borates go, I would like to add them.... was just concerned about adding the calcium at same time. Since my pH and TA are low, I thought it would be a good time to add Borax. Should I finish doing a (third) SLAM though, before adding BORAX?

P.S. - I am a Bronze supporter, but it is not showing up on my post. Did I do something wrong?

Thanks duraleigh!! Will proceed with another SLAM. These results were actually from a pool store. Since my test bottles were from last year, I wanted to see if "professional" results were in line with my TF-100 results (and they were) but new test kit has been ordered. From now on I will post only MY results!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.