Intex SWCG install on non-Intex plumbing

The Mermaid Queen

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 28, 2007
Northern KY
I just purchased the Intex Krystal Clear SWCG. It comes with threaded compression fittings on the hose, and threaded inlet/outlet on the SWCG itself.

All of my plumbing (Hayward skimmer and return eyeball, PolyGroup/SummerWaves pump and filter combo) is non-threaded, so how exactly do you connect both sides of the SWG to your existing plumbing? I understand hose clamps to the un-threaded portions, but what about the other threaded part of the SWCG?

TIA

:thequeen:

What size are the hoses?

Not sure if this will work for you, but here is what I did.

1) Cut an unneeded Intex hose so I could get the two gray hose nuts off.
2) Purchased these from Lowe’s. Needed one for each threaded connection. Sanded off the raised letters on the end.
3) Slipped hose nut over the box adapter, then glued box adapter to PVC union. Make sure you leave enough room for hose nut to turn freely. The box adapter perfectly mimics the end of the Intex hose, but lets you use PVC to make your connections.
4) I actually used flex hose to make my own hoses.

AF5C82CD-27FE-4430-BA0A-0B97375CD28B.jpg

My modified plumming is on the suction side, but could certainly be used on other side as well.

LOL, if I can do PVC, anyone can! But great guide! I think that’s the one that pointed me to the box adapters. They really do perfectly mimic the end of the Intex hoses.

I was able to get 2" PVC to snug up with Intex hoses simply by putting an extra rubber washer in there. The problem is that the thread is a different pitch on the Intex collars and they bind up before they screw down tight enough to not leak. But an extra washer is just enough to get them to seal off.

Here's an example:.
e1ec6910a32254223000dbf0810d93b4.jpg

I tried the extra washer first. Tried to make my own but it just wasn’t working! Not sure if it was because they had imperfect edges or what. I finally got fed up and decided to make my own hoses.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, All did not go according to plans. After 3 or 4 trips to the ACE hardware store, we discovered there was an adapter include in the box with the SWG. duh. But we were still missing a connection. So we ordered another adapter, a piece of regular (non-intex) 1.5" plastic hose, and will get this all set up this week. Whew.

I was ready to plumb it all in with PVC, but hubby did not like the idea of that. Plus we have no way to close off the suction/return lines, so...

Thanks all for your ideas.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.