How often to refresh water in Pool Spa?

Bvacchiano

Silver Supporter
Apr 6, 2018
Sugar Land, Texas
I have a pretty large spillway on my hot tub and I’m trying to not run the spillway to avoid my PH going ballistic. My question is how often do I need to turn the spillway on to refresh the water in spa? I’ve been doing it once a day for like 40 minutes. I think this is too often but not sure. Salt water pool + Wet Edge Primera stone + large spillway yields a major pain.

I have my valves set so that for the two hours a day my pump runs, I get about 10% return flow through the spa. That seems to be enough water exchange to keep it clear. However, before I vacuum, I move the valves and pump the spa into the pool via the filter, and brush any debris at the spa drain. It's easier than trying to use the vacuum. Anyway, then while I'm vacuuming, I return it all to the spa. It minimizes the disturbance in the pool so I can see what I'm doing a little better, and it gives me pretty close to 100% water exchange in the spa once a week.

I have an air intake for some kind of venturi in the spa return jets. I capped that with a spray can lid to minimize aeration. Easy enough to get the bubbles back in the spa if I want 'em.

With my TA down at around 60, I pretty much only need to add acid when I add top off water every week or so.

I see that you have 3 month old plaster and a SWCG. I would suggest you test the 2 bodies of water, pool and spa, separately for awhile, every day. Do it right before the spillover cycle runs. That will help you understand if there are any differences that would drive the frequency decision.

When I tested separately with my new plaster last summer, I found that the pH rise in the spa was always faster than it was in the pool. My plaster is almost a year old and this is still the case (even with TA in the 50-60 range), so I run my spillover for 30 minutes a day. I also sometimes add ~1 ounce of MA directly to the spa in spa mode to help control any scaling with the warmer spa water (higher CSI.)

B,

I like Dodger's idea of testing the Pool and Spa separately for while and see what the results look like..

Assuming you have an automation system, I would have it automatically run the spillover for 15 or 20 minutes, twice a day...

All you really want to know is that your FC in the Spa is always staying above your minimum.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.