GPH filter/pump size for pool volume

shadylady23

Jul 18, 2007
Southwest NH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Is there a chart or something to reference to make sure I have a large enough pool filter/pump for my pool? It seems burly, but my pool just isn’t clearing. I’ve been in Slam for over a week. Essentially filtering 24/7 besides when my generator runs out of gas for a few hours in the middle of the night. (I live off grid and don’t want to run the pump 24/7 off my solar batteries and system) I’m using a filter sock, cleaned the sand, retaining shock at now 15, (was 13). My cya is 30 so recommends 12. But still cloudy. I’m thinking to buy a new filter, cause this blows waiting this long!

Sorry a chart has not been developed yet, and I think the chart would have to include pool surface area as well.

Have you tried the de to sand filter yet?

I think what you might try if you are very sure the fuzzies have been killed is shut the pump off at night and let it settle to the floor and vacuum in the morning. It's a bit risky if the fuzzies are in the pool

Its passing the overnight test, so I don’t THINK anything is alive? I did try some DE prior to checking for channeling yesterday, is there a special position the return should face to help particles flow back to the skimmer better? That sounds dumb but maybe I’m missing something dumb. I checked this morning and although I don’t know exactly what time the filter turned off in the night, I’m guessing around 12:00 or 1:00 am. I checked it at 6am. Along with the chlorine level which was again the same as last night

Did you run the pump 30 mins before testing clorine? Sounds like you are fine.

You can use a ping pong ball to see if your returns are pointing correctly. Every pool is different so you just have to tune it. You can point them down a little so it pushes water off the bottom if you wish or point them to the side fir great surface movement.

If I were you I would try de and shut your pump off at night since your off grid. It may take a few nights of letting it settle to be able to vacuum. The danger of this is you cannot brush the pool and that's were the fuzzies can start to grow. So be careful, test often, vacuum or brush if you see any green in the settled solids on the bottom

Can algae still grow if I keep the FC up?

- - - Updated - - -

And do you think my pump and sand filter setup should be sufficient for this pool? It says it’s 2450 gallons per hour. My pool is about 8100-8600 gallons. (18’ Round). I ran this filter two years ago with a little 12’ intex pool that was like 3 feet deep, but we upgraded last year to the 18’ pool that has a deeper wall

Algae developes a bio film, brushing breaks this.

Your pump and filter is fine, if a filter is too small it just plugs faster. If your pump gives you enough psi range to filter, and moves the water around it's great, you might have to go slow with a vacuum.

My pump is from a intex cartridge pump, 1/2 hp and filters at 5 psi goes to 10 psi when plugged. Works great.

This seems to run about 9 psi. And i can’t say I’ve ever seen it go up from that. But I recently learned not to backwash so frequently so that’s likely why. LOL

- - - Updated - - -

It goes from 0 to 60 psi on the gage

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.