What happened to my cya????

Jul 17, 2014
Joplin, Mo
I did not close the pool very well and it was a war zone. I have been travelling all month and just had a chance to start my SLAM this week. I don't understand what's going on with my CYA during this process.

1. Where did my CYA go over the winter? It was around 40-50 at the end of last year why did I pull the cover back to <30?

2. I added 4 lbs of stabilizer this should bring me from my estimate of 10 (test tube starts at 30) to a little over 30 ppm according to the calculator. I just tested CYA again 24 hours into the slam and it is now at 80! Why did it jump so high from not that much stabilizer?

3. I am 25 gallons of 10% chlorine in and still not holding over about 4 ppm for more than 15 minutes. Should I cut my losses and drain?

When you took the sample that showed less than 30 ppm CYA had the pump been running? You need to have the water mixed up well before you get your sample.

You can SLAM Process at CYA of 80, but it is easier at CYA of 40 or 50. Up to you.

Your statement that your FC drops to 4 ppm after 15 minutes, from what level of FC? With a CYA of 80 it is impossible to have ammonia.

Any other pool store products added to this pool?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.