Left in vacation, kids didn't keep fc up...

kfinke

Aug 28, 2017
Cincinnati,OH
So they were supposed to test and keep my FC at 8-10. I took it up to about 13 before I left. When my daughter tested, it was 1.5!

So, at a cya of 75, minimum was 5. Do I have to slam now, or can I do the rest and decide if it's needed?

Well, water looks clean (debris on the bottom). However, my daughter added 4 gallons of 10% yesterday, when according to her FC was at 1.5. I came home a day later and it's only 2! My combined chlorine was zero. So, where did the FC go? Granted, it was hot and sunny, but the solar blanket was on. Adding 4 gallons should have taken it up by like 11. I added 3 more tonight, and I'm waiting to do the OCLT. I'll let you know, but I'm certainly concerned about the FC drop. I didn't check TA or PH, but they were like 70 and 7.6 a week ago.

You can try again since you said perhaps, get a good test on it and use the 25 mil for super accuracy since slamming with high cya sucks.

I would in the morning raise FC and brush the whole pool, test a few hours later to make sure brushing didn't crash the FC, then raise the FC at night and test with 25 mil, then do your test in the morning

So it's been a few days since my last post. I did what was suggested and did the higher resolution OCLT. I'm on the fence. It was FC 11.4 / 9.8, so a 1.6 loss, but .4 CC. I've been keeping the FC around 10. What concerns me is I seem to be losing about 40% during the day. I've been reading some great threads on here about CYA and %FC loss, and also some threads about how it's a percentage so you can't just take the pool to like 15 and expect to lose like 3 a day, etc.

But, with my CYA of 75 and some days with the solar blanket on (clear though) I think my FC loss is too high. I'm basically putting in a gallon of 10% shock every night. Even though I'm not excited about it, I'm thinking about doing a SLAM on like Tuesday. I don't want to ruin swimming over the holiday weekend!

Oh, and just so that it's part of this thread, I'll say I've purchased a new VS pump and a SWG. They've been sitting in the garage for a month because I can't get anyone to come install them! I've had two different guys out, gave me the same price, and then for whatever reason couldn't come / didn't follow up. I've reached out to two more. I wanted to have the SWG installed before I went on my trip so I didn't have to worry about this lol!

If you want to run a SLAM Process you should start now. But with a CYA of 80 (round up, you cannot measure a 75, the scale is logarithmic) you will need alot of bleach to start.

Swimming is no issue up to SLAM level FC. If you want keep the FC just below SLAM level during the day and at night take it back up to SLAM.

If you have no visible algae and the water is clear, you could try just raising your FC to 20% of CYA for a couple days. I find that sometimes manages my water when I see it is just 'off' a bit.

Take care.

Why wait? SLAM now. You failed the OCLT.

attachment.php

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think I just ROYALLY SCREWED UP!! Just to practice and verify, I measured my CYA. It came back at like 10! The water was like an hour old, so I did it again and same result! 3 weeks ago it was 70-80. Last year it was 140, and I couldn't get rid of the mustard algae which is why I found this forum. I drained about half, which matched the math of being at about 70-80. I've only added like 1 inch of water since the test of 70-80. How can this be? Where does CYA go, I thought there was no way to get rid of it except drain water. I did take my salt level up to about 2300 on my climb up for the SWG.

Why oh why do I not test before I do things. Like measure before you cut! So, now what do I do? Could the CYA test just be off because of adding all of the bleach? Or did I just take a pool with a CYA of 10 to a target of 28FC?

HELP!!

Well, sigh of relief. I bought a new bottle of CYA reagent just in case. I did the test again (this time not in direct sunlight). However, I didn't have my glasses on and I thought I read between 10-20, but that's really 40-50! So, if you round up, then we're at 50. So, shock level is 20, and I'm already down from 28 to 24. So, no crisis although I'm curious how my CYA dropped from 80 to 50 in a month. Anyway, I'll continue the SLAM at the new numbers, and when the SWG gets installed I'll take up the CYA. Never thought I would have to do that given all the trouble last year!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.