Green pool, here's my chemistry. Please help!

Occram

May 14, 2018
Galloway, New Jersey
Hello,

I've significantly lowered my CYA levels finally after a few drains / fills, and my numbers and a picture of the pool are below. I'd like to know where to start please! I know I won't be using trichlor anymore as that's what's gotten into this mess in the first place.

TA: 60
pH: 7.4
CYA: 50
FC: <0.5
CC: 0.5

CCxZCfN.jpg

I assume I should start by correcting the TA to 80-120 ppm, then start the SLAM process? I need to go buy some BBB supplies at BJs, just looking for some guidance on the order of operations, so to speak.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Mark-

You are set to follow a SLAM Process right now. No need to mess with TA and your pH is fine too.

Only get chlorine and acid. You might have to use baking soda at some time depending on your fill water but it is doubtful.

Take care.

Hello again,

So, I began SLAMing the pool last night after sunset. This morning, the FC dropped from 21 ppm to 19 ppm, so I bumped it up to 20-21 ppm again. I just rechecked at the FC was about 13.5 ppm, so I adjusted it back up again. It does appear to be improving slowly.

I have three quick questions if you folks don't mind:

1) I recently emptied and refilled my sand filter and it seems to be working well, but I have to backwash it more frequently than I remember last season (the sand was 10+ years old, per the previous owner). I guess that means the new media is working better? Is that normal?

2) My CC level never seems to go north of 1 ppm during this whole process. Is that normal? Should it be higher? Does it burn off quickly?

3) I have a bit of muriatic acid per your recommendations. Should I be monitoring and adjusting pH during this process? I'm not sure if my kit (K-2006) will accurately measure pH with 20 ppm FC in the water.

Thanks so much for all your help. I really love this community already.

Here's the pool today:

lVlF5Fu.jpg

Mark-

You are doing well. Since you are murdering algae, your filter is working to clear the carcasses from your water - normal!

1) Functioning as designed. Backwash as needed to remove dead algae.
2) CCs are broken down by sunlight and volatilize out of your water into the air when a pool has no cover.
3) No point in monitoring pH now with FC so high due to interference. Check and adjust when SLAM is over and FC drops below 10ppm.

So the SLAM process has been working, and working fast! A big thanks for all the help and resources on these forums. The water is just blue/white haze now. I found out on your forums that flocc is bad, so I'll just let the filter keep doing it's thing. Just wanted to say thanks!

zLLqTt5l.jpg

Thanks again,
Mark-

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.