Can't turn my pool light off!

Jun 30, 2017
Manlius, NY
I'm hoping someone can solve this one for me. I have an inground pool with a light. The previous home owner showed me which switch controlled the light, and a couple of years ago the switch seemed to work ok. It would change colors when I turned it on and off. And then one day I couldn't turn the light OFF with the switch anymore (but I hadn't used it in a year, so I wasn't sure if I was forgetting something)! It also doesn't change colors when I turn it on and off - in fact the switch doesn't seem to do anything.

It's attached to GCFI, so I just have turned it on and off using the GCFI for the last couple of years. The pool light is ON (and white) when I turn the GCFI on, and OFF when I turn the GCFI off, even with the light switch off.

I don't know if this is a weird pool light issue or more of a question for an electrician, but it seems like somehow the GCFI has bypassed the light switch all together? Or there's something weird with the pool light switch I don't know about.

The only reason I care is that I finally sprung for a robotic cleaner and now anytime I want to clean the pool I also have to have the light on, since the outlet near the pool is also run by that same GCFI.

Anyone have any thoughts about if there's maybe something else that could control that light...or if you think it's just a bad switch and I should try to change it out?

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.