Cant get FC to shock level

May 18, 2018
Hudsonville, MI
Hello. I am new to this forum but have decided to take my pool into my own hands and avoid the pool store. I ordered a tf 1000 test kit about a week ago and I’m supposed to get it in 2 days. In the meantime below are my last readings from the pool store.

ph - 7.7
Adj ta - 114
fc - 0.6
tc - 10.3
cya - 30

I live in Michigan and opened my pool about a week ago and it was very green and dirty. Since then I have vacuumed the entire pool to waste on 3 separate occasions, have added algicide, pool tonic (phosphate remover recommended by pool store), 4 lbs of dichlor, 6 lbs of 73% cal hypo and 12 gallons of 12% bleach. The algae appears to have cleared up and the water is now cloudy and I can see about 5ft to the bottom. All the chlorine referenced above was added over the course of 3 different occasions and I was not able to get a fc reading after any of them. The chlorine added on each occasion was more chlorine than recommended by the pool calculator to get to slam levels. Is this because I have such high combined chlorine levels? What do I need to do to get to 12 ppm fc so I can start the slam process? Is there a way to calculate how much chlorine I need to add or something else I can do get a fc reading and start the slam process?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Oh dear. Stop, no more adding anything, except chlorine! You really can’t SLAM until your test kit comes and you know your numbers.

You can use Pool Math to estimate how much chlorine to add daily, and keep brushing and vacuuming. Once your kit arrives, post your test numbers and we’ll dive in!

You could have ammonia but I'm wildly guessing. Once you get your TF100, post a full set of test results, including pH, TA, FC, CC's CH and CYA and we'll go from there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.