Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
May 18, 2016
MARION, IL
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We have opened the in-laws pool after being closed for 3-4 years. We slammed for 3 weeks and have arrived at a crystal clear pool. However, the liner above the water line is scummy looking. The Mr. Clean Magic Eraser didn't touch it.
Any suggestions?
Also, the steps look sort of "rusty" and my father-in-law wants me to try a product called "Metal Out" that his pool guy successfully used several years ago for the same problem. Any warnings about the product before we try it? It says it works best if the FC is below 0.5, which I'm not about to allow to happen.

Thanks for the help in advance!

So, the scum line above the waterline.... does it feel tacky? Does it smear when you try to rub it, or is it somehow stained? Do you think it's related to the metal staining you are seeing on the steps? If it is indeed a scum line, I'm surprised the eraser didn't do it. But if it's stained from 3-4 years of organic junk just sitting there, that could prove to be a more difficult project. As for the Metal Out, we have experts here who have used that product specifically and can help you with the process to avoid algae. We can PM them for that specific topic.

I think it’s stained. It doesn’t smudge or smear. It is a black stain pattern - different from the rust looking stain on the steps.

Regarding PM-ing someone about Metal Out, that would be great. How do we proceed with that?

Hi there. My direct experience is with Metal Magic by proteam or Jacks Magic, Pink for iron staining or purple if you have a salt water generator.

Those are both “HEDP, diphosphonic” based products that I’ve found reliable.

I have cleaned up a metal scum line on vinyl successfully just apply some on a rag and wiping. You can do that and then add a full startup dose or vice vesa. It may be enough to clean the stairs too.

If not, the easiest method I’ve found for stairs is to use Ascorbic Acid loaded into a liquid dishwashing wand with 50% water added. That avoids doing a full AA treatment, so it’s easier, but if you want to clean up the whole pool, check out the Ascorbic Acid treatment thread (use the search box.)

Hope that helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.