Pool pressure problem

Good afternoon all.. I have a 20x40 pool and my father has always maintained.. he has Alzheimer’s so I have taken over. I had the pump burn out last year in August because he removed skimmer drain plugs so water ran below skimmers and burned pump being dry... I replaced all my Pvc ball valves Jandy, and main control off filter as well as a brand new DE60 and brand new Hayward pump.. I got the pool running and did a couple backwashs everything was 10-12 psi.. I vacuumed the pool one night and backwash after. One time after this I even removed filter and completely cleaned it... my pressure will adjust at 10-12 and over and hour or longer pressure slowly goes up to 22 but I notice I lose filter inlet pressure and my return jets barely blow. I can’t figure this out??? When I turn it to recirculate everything moves around perfectly ... please help as I am stumped!!!

There's two types of DE, one for pools & another for gardening. Make sure you are using the correct type.
You might need to clean the filter grids with a chemical. Hayward use to recommend soaking them in a solution of diluted muriatic acid. That was when the filters had tubes. I don't know if they recommend this with the grid type filters.

Cloudy water will clog a DE filter quickly. You should get a good test kit & perform a slam. I'll post the procedure later - off to work.

You're experiencing the Diatomaceous Curse. It filters too well. You're dealing with an algae outbreak, hence the cloudiness, and the filter is so good at its job that it loads up in minutes.

You need to get ahead of the algae and kill it faster than it can reproduce. Until you do that, you're just stuck in a holding pattern where you grow as much as you kill every day and you'll continue to clog the filter with your neverending supply of algae.

As others have said, you need to SLAM Process. You could leave things set in recirculate for a few days while doing it, at least until the water loses all the green tint and goes to blue-gray. Then try a vacuum to waste to get the crud that's settled, and then continue with the SLAM and suffer with frequent backwashes.

The good news is, once you get the pool tamed, you may well never have to go through this again, now that you've found us.

Thank you all so very much! The pool is indeed clearing up to a blueish color and the last time I pulled the grids and took apart there was only DE and not so much that it looks clogged, I barely see any algae and not even much when I backwash is this still normal with the pool needing to be slammed and building this pressure so quickly, it boggles my mind and is making me insane

I barely see any algae and not even much when I backwash is this still normal with the pool needing to be slammed and building this pressure so quickly, it boggles my mind and is making me insane

You can have organics in the pool that you can't see but the CL is killing and the filter is capturing.

If you do the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) it will tell you if organics in your pool are being attacked by your CL -->
https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/136-perform-the-overnight-fc-chlorine-loss-test-oclt

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you all so much, so I am slamming it and keeping up with running that pump and filtering pool backwashing etc.. I have a picture here and it seems as if the mirror T is my main drain line.. and for some strange reason I can’t run both filters without running the drain... I have an option to shut my Jandy valve and run one skimmer and main drain or just one skimmer no main drain.. while filtering pool should I always run main drain and both skimmers to keep everything moving or close the main and just skimmers? 7EB3C9BD-974E-4ED8-86CE-DF505BFF3FC9.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.