New IG pool build in Fort Worth, TX

May 18, 2018
Fort Worth, TX
We are 2nd time pool builders and I wish I had found this website before we built our first pool.

Lots of useful information on this site and looking forward to gaining more knowledge as we go through this process again.

Our pool build started 5/17 with the dig. PB hit rock just below the sod, which I totally expected and planned for with the rock contingency in the contract. Took 2 full days of the battering ram to dig the pool but it's now waiting on inspection before moving on to the next step.

Finished pool will be similar to this without the spa. I didn't want the added expense, plus we did not have easy access to the natural gas line for heating and I did not want to do an electric heater.

pool.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Here's what the yard looks like from overhead and before the dig began. Previous owner had already expanded the decking so the new pool surface will tie into the existing deck.

home overview.jpg

pool_layout_with_dimensions.jpg

IMG_5224.jpg

Some equipment showed up today at lunch time, and the inspector was out today to sign off on the forms. Next up will be plumbing and steel work.

I'm also considering artificial turf for the backyard instead of putting down sod. I won't have much grass space left over and I like the idea of a very low maintenance yard space.

IMG_5250_1.jpg

IMG_5251_1.jpg

Love the patio they did! How will you tie into it?

Do you have the detailed plans for this pool? Care to share them?

What about your equipment list?

Kim:kim:

They will pour the salted concrete decking right up to the existing patio and there will be a small expansion gap between the two. The gap will be filled with the deck-o-seal joint sealant. I think it will look really good together since the existing patio tile has a lot of the same light brown colors that the salted concrete and flagstone coping will exhibit.

I think the turf idea is a good one but I also hear it gets very hot. First build I have seen with in-line chlorine feeder. What is the depth on the pool?

I think the turf idea is a good one but I also hear it gets very hot. First build I have seen with in-line chlorine feeder. What is the depth on the pool?

I was told the turf only gets slightly hotter than natural grass. Still not sure I'll go with the turf as I'm waiting on the final quote to come in. Plus, if I go with turf then I won't be able to plant anywhere in the backyard around the pool. Most likely I'll just put down some St. Augustine sod and call it good.

The pool is 3'-4'-6' at the deepest where the ledge and jumping rock will be located. Had a slight mistake with the dig as the ledge was supposed to be on the side of the pool not the deep end but we're just going to move the jump rock around to the side of the pool a bit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The standard light being installed is a Pentair 78456300 Amerlite incandescent light. Any recommendations on a LED replacement that I could have installed instead?

I would suggest the replacing the incandescent bulb inside the Pentair 78456300 Amerlite with a PureColors LED Color Changing Bulb. I like the combination of the Amerilite with the PureColors bulb as the PureColors bulb is replaceable. If you go with something like the Pentair Intellibrite, Hayward ColorLogic or Jandy Watercolors then all of these use integrated LED Boards which are not replaceable, so if the light ever goes bad on a light with an integrated LED board then you are looking at a expensive and time consuming complete light fixture replacement at around $1,000. If the PureColors LED Bulb goes bad then you are looking at an easy bulb replacement around $150. I hope this helps.

I would suggest the replacing the incandescent bulb inside the Pentair 78456300 Amerlite with a PureColors LED Color Changing Bulb. I like the combination of the Amerilite with the PureColors bulb as the PureColors bulb is replaceable. If you go with something like the Pentair Intellibrite, Hayward ColorLogic or Jandy Watercolors then all of these use integrated LED Boards which are not replaceable, so if the light ever goes bad on a light with an integrated LED board then you are looking at a expensive and time consuming complete light fixture replacement at around $1,000. If the PureColors LED Bulb goes bad then you are looking at an easy bulb replacement around $150. I hope this helps.

Thank you for the input. So I can just order the bulb and simply switch it out before the installation correct?

And it would need to be the LED 120V 35W - PL5809 bulb since the Pentair bulb is 120V and 500W, yes?

Sorry for the newbie questions!

Thank you for the input. So I can just order the bulb and simply switch it out before the installation correct?

And it would need to be the LED 120V 35W - PL5809 bulb since the Pentair bulb is 120V and 500W, yes?

Sorry for the newbie questions!

Yes what you stated is spot on and correct. You could actually replace the bulb after the fixture installation but it would be easier to do it first.

Looks great! We also hit rock, however it was on the deep-end after 6ft, pulled out some huge boulders which I had them place around a fireplace area for me. I was amazed at the size of rock they were pulling out. South DFW here.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.