Umbrella Sleeve Cap - Seized close due to plaster

JarCar

Mar 23, 2017
Katy, TX
So, we went to use the umbrella sleeve for the first time on our sunshelf and I could not remove the cap. Tried using some pliers, a box cutter around the lip to cut-away some plaster that may have hardened in the threads with zero luck.

Any suggestions for getting the cap off?

Thanks in advance.

@OP, will appreciate if you can update this thread post successful cap removal. Our pool was re-plastered last Dec and they also installed a cap on the umbrella sleeve on the sunshelf. Our 68F water temp is preventing me to take the dip, since. TIA

@OP, will appreciate if you can update this thread post successful cap removal. Our pool was re-plastered last Dec and they also installed a cap on the umbrella sleeve on the sunshelf. Our 68F water temp is preventing me to take the dip, since. TIA

I'm going to give it a whirl tonight with the mallet idea. I'll let you know how it goes!

*Update*

I was able to get the cap off....this is what I had to do....

Used a screwdriver and hammer and essentially cut a square into the top of it. Then used a hacksaw blade and cut the cap into quarters and then just pried it out. Saved the threads on the sleeve so we are good to go.

Yeah I know, right....

Luckily I have two other sleeves for volleyball so I used one of those caps to make sure I didn't damage the threads and I didnt, so yay!

My biggest worry was for me to damage the overall sleeve and/or crack the plaster around it. Luckily that didn't happen.

Yeah I know, right....

Luckily I have two other sleeves for volleyball so I used one of those caps to make sure I didn't damage the threads and I didnt, so yay!

My biggest worry was for me to damage the overall sleeve and/or crack the plaster around it. Luckily that didn't happen.

We had the same problem but my husband tore up the cap and the threads are damaged. Is there a way to replace them?
Any ideas? I have uploaded a photo of the damages sleeve.

Thank you.

Attachments

• poolsleevehole.jpg
    poolsleevehole.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 50

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.