Hard Plumb with PVC Failed Because Something Very Weird Caused It. Can You Guess What

Crackerjack4u

Platinum Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 17, 2015
Kentucky
Hello All,:wave:

Sorry that I've not been around to help you guys out, or made any posts for quite sometime d/t my medical condition, not that I've not thought of you fine gals and guys often though. LOL After reading this you may not want my kind of help ever again anyway. I've been wanting to hard plumb my pool for 3 years now, but just never felt well enough to mess with it, but decided during this year's opening, and whether I was well enough, or not, I was going to try to tackle the task by myself.

When it was all said and done the actual issue ended up being something very weird that I thought was certainly worth bringing to other's attention. While you're reading my story see if you can figure out, before I tell you, what caused my problem. I personally had never even considered it, so if something that makes me feel totally stupid right now for not considering it as the potential problem prevents someone else from going through the same thing then I'm more than happy to share it with you. Also, feel free to laugh if you want to because I did later on, LOL but believe me when I say it was much later on. :laughblue:

Here's my story:

My pump sits very close to my pool (like 3-4' apart), so I had anticipated that there could be some major flow issues d/t the close location, and the need to use so many 90's in order to hard plumb it that close, but I thought I'd try it anyway.

After 3 days out in the hot sun in my wheelchair, I finally get every thing cut, and put together DRY, and it looked great. Day 4: I finally start securing the connectors, gluing the pieces together, and everything lines up beautifully. Finally I flip on the pump, the pump basket fills with water, primes, and appears to start filling the filter. I check and no water is coming out of the return. My first thought was, well poo, just as I had anticipated all those 90's have now messed up the flow. So with hacksaw in hand, I roll over to my 4 days of work, and start cutting.

Since the hard plumb apparently wasn't going to work, I still wanted to try to at least leave the cutoffs on it, and then just connect the hoses below that, so that's what I did. I finally got the hoses hooked back up and thought to myself, thank goodness, I'm finally finished. I flip on the pump, and yet again No Water is coming out of the return. Only this time, the hoses I had just connected on the return side after just a few seconds of the pump being turned on start popping off under the pressure. The suction side hoses were holding steady.

With water flying everywhere, I use my new installed cutoffs :D which I was thrilled to have at that point, get the hoses put back on and tighten them down tighter thinking I just hadn't tightened then well enough the 1st time. I again flip on the pump, still there is no water coming out of the return, and the hoses on the return side blow off again. (I was ready for them this time though so less water got wasted).

I thought to myself, "This is just plain crazy, what the heck could be causing this?" :brickwall: I check all the connection again, tighten them all down again, ensure everything is hooked up correctly, etc., and just sit there in the scorching heat, sweat flowing into my eyes, on now day 5, about to cry, with a very confused look on my face.

I figured I might as well put the entire return side back to the way I'd used it before, and hoped it would finally work correctly then. So I unhooked the hoses on that side, started unscrewing the return connector, and my newly installed cutoff :cry:. While doing this the ring that the connector screwed into on the outside of the pool starts coming loose too, and was leaking a lot of water, so I tighten it back up, and reach inside the pool where the eye screws on to make sure it's not coming loose too, or about to fall into the pool.

Folks, I kid you not, the stupid return eye had somehow flipped over during my pipe instillation, and the solid sides of it was completely blocking the entire opening, and wouldn't allow any water to come out of the return. I would have never guessed in a million years that this would have been what was causing my problem the entire time. So if you have no water coming out of your return line you might want to check your return eye because instead of it just sitting in there like it's suppose to, it very well could be looking all around trying to see what your doing on the outside lol. I have no idea whether my hard plumb would or wouldn't have worked all because of this weird occurrence.

I would still like to hard plumb my system, but it won't be anytime soon. I hope my story helps others to possibly avoid a complete cut out of their hard work for a very easy fix. Have a Wonderful Night!!

Last edited:
I was guessing the wrong thing! I was thinking the valve was not turn to the open side.................NEVER would I have even thought about the eye turning like that!!! Nosy thing! how do you think that happened? it is not like you were really working with that part!

Well written as always and a good lesson to check everything before you start cutting! Hey at least you have the valves now!

Kim:kim:

Hello dear friend, The valves that are on there are the ones You got me to get wayyy back in 2015 when I was doing my original Slam, so lol it's certainly about time they were on the pool finally,
:whoot:
instead of in garage in storage.

I really have no idea exactly how it happened, but I'm thinking maybe the eye section wasn't screwed down tight enough,(I was diagnosed with severe carpal tunnel in both hands, and have had 2 hand surgeries since I talked to you the last time so my grip isn't the greatest on tightening things down real well anymore), or perhaps it was when I was putting in the coupling on the outside it was turning the entire threaded section that goes through the pool loosening the eye section, or hitting and turning the eye itself just enough to block the flow? LOL those are just guesses as to what might have caused it, but I'm really not sure exactly how it happened?

Even after I realized that it had flipped like that the 1st time, and blocked the return hole, I got it positioned back in there correctly, got the connector and the cutoff screwed back in, and made sure the front ring up against the pool was tightened down well, etc. Then when I started the pump back up the water was then hitting the surface out of the return, when I had positioned the eye down and to the right. I reached in to adjust the eye position, and it again didn't feel right, so I shut off the pump, unscrewed the eye section off, and the entire eye part had this time managed to flip completely over where the smaller eye part was actually now facing in towards the pool, instead of out towards the water, and again no idea how it actually happened.

I finally got it positioned back in there again correctly, or at least for now, but apparently I'm going to have to keep a close eye on it and make sure it remains connected tight against the pool, so it doesn't flip again, and block the return flow, when the pump is running. With it being such an odd freakish thing I felt it was certainly worth mentioning to maybe help the next person that it happens too. Have A Nice Day!!

You have a "Poolclops", better bring in an exorcist.

I have recently been known to cause a hose split by poking the pool in the eye during adjustment to aerate. Just got everything I need to start a PVC plumb, so I will keep an eye on the eye. Incorporating a fountain feature for fun and aeration so I don't have to mess with the eye.

@azide999 Yelp, an exorcist very well could be needed.

Wow, those must have been some big eye pokes to blow your hose. It sounds like that was kind of like being poked in the eye with a sharp stick. My plan was to incorporate a fountain with my scrap PVC, but I didn't make it that far. I do have a Grecian Fountain that I can screw into the eye port though, but haven't put it on yet either.
My plan is to move the pump next season, and bury my lines so I should be far enough away then to not have to worry about using so many 90s and it possibly messing up the flow, so I might just wait on the fountain until then? Best of luck on your hard plumb, hopefully yours will go smoothly without any issues. Have a Nice Day!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.