Freestanding hot tub for cold climate

Jun 27, 2016
Canada
Hi there,

We live in Toronto and are looking at buying a freestanding hot tub.

Just wondering if any board members in northern climates can post what tubs they've bought.

Tub would be outside, likely under a gazebo. We'd use it all year round and it would be sitting on the ground -- not surrounded by a deck.

We have a pool already and want to add to the back yard fun!

Thanks!

As long as you keep it on, I doubt it will be problem. We don't live in cold like Toronto but we do see below freezing temps at night. Its a blessing to have 104F water outside while its snowing. Water circulate pretty regularly so I dont think freezing will be problem. We have a standard 4 person hot tub.

Well not all hot tubs are created equal. For colder climates, you might want to lean more toward the name brands as opposed to some of the off brands. One of the things that make a hot tub less expensive is a lack of quality, ample insulation....because it's not readily seen. A quality, well insulated tub will maintain temperature and be much more efficient in colder weather. When shopping, ask them to open the panel so you can see underneath. Some are shot completely with foam which then hardens and makes it extremely difficult to locate and fix a leak. Some only have a thin layer of paper sheathing wrapped around the innards. The only thing they all have in common is that the salesperson will tell you that their insulation is far superior to the competition. There's a wealth of information on line about it all. Spas are one of those things I don't necessarily depend on a salesperson to educate me. Educate yourself at least a little so you're armed with at least basic knowledge before going in.

BTW...I personally have a Sundance, and consider sitting in a steaming spa drinking an adult beverage with snow gently falling one of life''s greatest little pleasures.

I think a good/thick/tight-sealing cover is as important, or maybe more important, than the lower insulation.
The cover is an easy way for a seller to skimp because a buyer is likely to be more focused on the fun aspects of what they're buying.

Thanks all for the info and opinions. Much appreciated. I too have researched and read about the insulation factor being imporant.

The brands I am focusing in on are: Marquis, Beachcomber, Hydropool, Hot Springs

I need to go around to dealers and get the sales talk and see some models for myself.

BMK -- this message from you made my day...
"I personally have a Sundance, and consider sitting in a steaming spa drinking an adult beverage with snow gently falling one of life''s greatest little pleasures."
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]

[/FONT]

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.