Opened pool - lost water

Mar 3, 2017
NJ
Hey, first time pool owner and first time posting. I have a 21ft round above ground pool. We purchased last spring and had a fairly successful first season thanks to this website. I closed the pool in October and just opened it up today. When I closed it, I drained the water down to just below the return. When I opened the pool today, there is about 8 inches of water in the pool.... crystal clear, so I did something right.

Does a pool normally lose about 2 ft of water over the winter?! Or do I potentially have a slow leak? I have not noticed any signs around the pool throughout the winter.
Thanks for your time.

Welcome to the forum!

I would think you got some rain or snow in your area over winter? I would doubt you evaporated that much water but it could be.

Can you fill out a signature so we know what pool and equipment you have? Helps us help you.
Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

Take care.

Not sure of the size of your cover, but I always go one size up. And with that said, 1 year we had so much snow on the cover early in the season (before the pool actually froze totally), that the snow on the cover pushed it down quite a bit and forced the water beneath out the return opening. Lost about 1-1/2 foot of water that year!!! I now cap my return and installed a skimmer unit that has a cover, so no more "good water" being forced out. Hopefully that's what happened in your case and not something worse. Just throwing the possibility out there. Good Luck !!!

Hey, first time pool owner and first time posting. I have a 21ft round above ground pool. We purchased last spring and had a fairly successful first season thanks to this website. I closed the pool in October and just opened it up today. When I closed it, I drained the water down to just below the return. When I opened the pool today, there is about 8 inches of water in the pool.... crystal clear, so I did something right.

Does a pool normally lose about 2 ft of water over the winter?! Or do I potentially have a slow leak? I have not noticed any signs around the pool throughout the winter.
Thanks for your time.
Firstly congrats to another AGP over-winter clear-opener! =) (we did too! lol)

Have you refilled it yet? If not, you could use the IG pool trick of filling a 5gal bucket and the pool to same level (so you don't waste water IF you have a leak) and wait 24hrs, if the water stays the same then you're good to go. =)

I have an above ground pool and I leave my skimmer and return hole open all year. With a solid cover, it will accumilate rain and snow. As it does, the cover gets heavy and it starts to push down on the pool water making it rise. Imagine a half glass of water and adding ice cubes. The water rises. This is what your pool is doing. Its normal and frightening for new owners. Fill the pool and start it up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.