Can you add bromine to chlorine?

May 19, 2018
Cornwall uk
Hello, I have just drained my bromine hot tub and have realised I'm out of bromine! However I have some chlorine that was given to me. If I refill the tub and use chlorine now can I use bromine again in it once I have bought more or would I have to drain the water and start again?
Thank you.

Hello, I have just drained my bromine hot tub and have realised I'm out of bromine! However I have some chlorine that was given to me. If I refill the tub and use chlorine now can I use bromine again in it once I have bought more or would I have to drain the water and start again?
Thank you.
Yes. The chlorine will go away in a matter of hours or days and that's pretty much the end of it. Then you can go back to Bromine.

It's people who want a chlorine pool who add Bromine that run into trouble.

Welcome to TFP!

Once you add a bromide bank to the tub the chlorine will react and become bromine. In fact, most people around here who manage their tubs with bromine just use liquid chlorine to 'charge' the bromine.

Great thank you both of you. As I haven't used chlorine before I don't know how much I have to add to the tub initially....any ideas?
Poolmath is your friend. Assuming no CYA, target 3 FC or less. Hint: you can switch to units you're familiar with on the upper right of the table. If you don't know the volume, there's a crude calculator down at the bottom of the page.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.