Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TA will not lower

1. Back To Top    #1

TA will not lower

Hello everyone!

This is my first post and hopefully someone can help me before I go crazy.

This is the first year that I have opened my pool that was installed last summer and I can't get the TA lowered. I was told at the pool store that I need to lower the TA to lower the pH (which is also high in my water). My chlorine and stabalizer levels are perfect.

The guy at the pool store told me to add Muratic Acid to lower the TA. He told me to pour a 1/4 of a gallon in one spot and leave pool alone for 24 hrs and then test. I did what he said and nothing happened so I read a few websites and they told me to dilute the acid in a bucket of water and distribute throughout the pool when the pump is off, wait an hour and turn pump back on and then test water. I have done what the website said and have went through a gallon of Muratic Acid and NOTHING has lowered.

Someone PLEASE HELP! I would appreciate any suggestions.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TA will not lower

Muriatic acid actually lowers your ph, which in turn helps lower your TA. What IS your TA number? You should use poolmath here (button at top of page) to determine how much to add for your total gallons then pour slowly in front of a running pool return and let it circulate for half an hour, then retest. Do you have one of our recommended test kits? Welcome.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

What are your numbers?

Also, never pour acid in a spot and let it sit. Always mix it in well.

Acid lowers TA. If you have added a gallon and it's not moving, the test might be inaccurate or the acid might not be right.

What pool surface do you have?

What is the pool volume?
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    Muriatic acid actually lowers your ph, which in turn helps lower your TA. What IS your TA number? You should use poolmath here (button at top of page) to determine how much to add for your total gallons then pour slowly in front of a running pool return and let it circulate for half an hour, then retest. Do you have one of our recommended test kits? Welcome.
    I'm going to do the PoolMath at lunch (currently bouncing between work and pool info).

No on the test kit. I haven't done much exploring on this site so I don't know what is recommended yet.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    What are your numbers?

Acid lowers TA. If you have added a gallon and it's not moving, the test might be inaccurate or the acid might not be right.

What is the pool volume?

Numbers (using the test strips)"
    pH = 8.4
    FC = 3
    TA = 240
    Stabilizer = 30-50

Once I thought about what the pool guy said (pouring in spot) I felt like an idiot. That isn't logical.

Do you mean what kind of liner do I have? Remember I'm new to this so I don't understand some of the terminology *wink wink*

Volume = 19440 cubic gallons

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome. You will learn the terminology and all the wonderful aspects of knowing your pool is clean, safe and easy to manage.
    Take a minute to let us know more about your pool.
    How old, pool size, above or below ground, you mention a liner, type of filter etc.
    Being able to test your pool water yourself is the where it all starts and will enable you to manage your system without being sold chemicals you do not need.
    Invest in a good test kit like the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006.
    You can find all the information you need on this site and there are many fine folks who are happy to help.
    27,000 gallons of central CA well water housed in a fiberglass coated concrete/plaster pool, dug into the most productive top soil on earth and surrounded by an urban forest.
    Cleaned with a Pentair 48 sq ft DE filter and a Dolphin Discovery (S200) robot. 250 gal Hot Springs Solana RX stand alone spa. Taylor K-2006. My first thread... New Old House, New Old Pool....

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok, we can help. We're glad you're here. A good test kit is essential. I recommend the TF-100.

TF-100 Test Kit

Here is the proper way to lower TA.

Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

Make sure that your acid says 31.45% on the bottle.

The method of adding it to a spot is an old myth and has been proven to be a bad way to add acid.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    What are your numbers?

What is the pool volume?

I went to another site and they had a different volume calculator.

My pool is above ground 24' x 54" circular.

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok, 24' diameter and 4.5' deep is about 15,200 gallons. PoolMath has a calculator at the bottom.

PoolMath
    Support the site

10. Back To Top    #10

If I did the PoolMath correctly I should add 105 oz of Muriatic Acid and that will lower my pH.....which I assume lowers my TA.

So.....after adding the acid how long to I wait to run the pump and how long do I wait to test the water?

Capture.jpg

11. Back To Top    #11

Run the pump while adding acid. Pour the acid into the return stream to disperse. Brush to help mix. Test in 30 minutes.

The TA should drop by about 27 ppm.
    Support the site

12. Back To Top    #12

This is the Muriatic Acid that I'm using (1 gallon bottle)...

Muriatic Acid | Champion Packaging

13. Back To Top    #13

That's correct.
    Support the site

14. Back To Top    #14

Just fyi, the advise you were given about pouring in muriatic acid in 1 spot and leave the pool alone is commonly referred to as the 'Slug Method' and it is supposed to lower TA without lowering pH as much. And it's been proven to be total non-sense, whether you add the acid to 1 spot or not, eventually it's going to be mixed in and have exactly the same effect. The 'Slug Method' can even be quite harmful to your pool's surface because of the highly concentrated acid sitting there before it can be more uniformly mixed in.

the fact that your pool store is even willing to dispense such advice means you should probably never ask or accept advise from that person again.
    20' X 40' IG vinyl lined; 31,300 gallons; built ~30years ago
    Hayward 1HP Single Speed Pump w/Sand Filter
    Taylor K-2006,Rola-chem sodium hypo feeder/ 15 gallon tank
    Fill from soft/neutral well water, low flowrate well pump

15. Back To Top    #15

So I added the amount of muriadic acid that the PoolMath said at the water return and tested after 30min.

The pHone level went down to 7.8 but the TA didn't budge.

Now what do i do?

And I want to thank everyone. I appreciate all the help!

16. Back To Top    #16

You are using test strips. They will not be accurate enough to accomplish what you are doing.

You need a proper test kit prior to adding chemicals.

Take care.
    6000 Gallon IG Fiberglass with integrated Spa;Pentair CCP240 Cartridge Filter with Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump and HTR250 heater. IC40 SWG. EasyTouch 4. Dolphin Active20 Robot "Roadrunner", TF 100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir!
    CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!! Pool Math App
    Marty

17. Back To Top    #17

You need a good test kit. Strips just won't be accurate enough. If the acid is good, the TA did go down.
    Support the site

18. Back To Top    #18

I will be ordering a new test kit tomorrow.

19. Back To Top    #19

Ok, you will find that it's much better.

Keep dropping the pH as needed until the TA is correct.
    Support the site