Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
I'm looking for recommendations on a WiFi smart switch/timer for a waterfall/rock slide booster pump. The pump is now controlled by a mechanical Intermatic timer box located in a weather-protected equipment shed. The pump is a 2 hp Pentair Whisperflo. Power supply to the pump is 220 volts/20 amp breaker. My equipment is not controlled by automation.

It looks like there are some limited choices for 220 volt smart controls. I am looking for control via smart phone and Alexa, but I would like a manual switch at the box as well. I have TP-Link smart home devices on the KASA app now, but I can't find anything compatible with that app. This device seems to meet all my requirements except for KASA app control. https://www.amazon.com/WiOn-50054-Outdoor-Wireless-Switch/dp/B00ZYLTJ16. I would have to use a separate app for control of the timer box. Any input on this controller?

Thanks,

Mike.

Yes. I think that you would need either a hub such as a SmartThings by Samsung or a Wink Hub. I have never done what you are asking. I have done somethign related. I have a GE ZWave switch (only rated for 120V) that is controlled by my WinkHub. I have the switch be the switch that turns on my Pool Light. Now I can use my phone to turn on the pool light. I personally dont use ALexa or Google Home, but since my WInk Hub is ALexa compatible, I could use ALexa to turn my pool light on.

My biggest concern is whether that Intermatic box can control the pump or not. I didnt get deep enough into the specs to research that, just saw that it supported higher voltages.

Also, the Wink Hub (and I think Smart Things and other hubs) dont carry a monthly fee, they just use your local wifi.

Thanks Yev. The WiOn 50054 is a standalone unit that is compatible with Alexa. I'm gonna give it a try. I was just trying to avoid having to run too many apps to control the different smart switches in and around my home. Everything I have now is TP-Link/KASA. I realize now I can still control all devices in one place on my phone via the Alexa app. I'm looking for easy on-off control for the rock slide. It's too loud to keep on the entire time we're swimming, so we end up running back and forth to the pool pad when we want to turn it on/off. Having voice control or phone control would be more convenient. I occasionally use the water feature for aeration, so I'll now be able to set up a timer for that purpose.

Update on my original post for anyone that may be interested.

I ended up purchasing and installing the Wion 50054 Outdoor Smart Box/Wireless Timer for about $60. It replaces a more expensive single Intermatic mechanical timer that controls a booster pump for my waterfall/rock slide. Reviews were somewhat mixed with connectivity issues being the primary complaint. Prior to installing mine, I removed circuit board and found the antenna wire unplugged from the circuit board. This may account for some of the negative reviews. This is a Made in China unit. The the metal case is decent quality. Time will tell if the internal circuitry will hold up.

Installation was fairly straightforward...similar to hooking up an Intermatic timer. There is a manual on/off switch inside the cover. The Wion app is fairly intuitive and does play well with Alexa for voice control. The app features a variety of timer modes including a countdown timer, astronomic timer (sunrise/sunset), and a fully programmable timer. No connectivity issues so far with my Google Mesh router.

So far, this seems to be a great solution us. I can sit on my porch and turn the waterfall on and off with Alexa or via the phone app. While swimming, we no longer need to run in/out of the pool shed to operate the slide.

Wion 1.jpg

Pool.jpg

Attachments

• Wion 2.jpg
    Wion 2.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 87
Great post follow up. Sorry to hijack your post a bit. I purchased a TP-Link WiFi Switch that also works with Kasa and then Alexa-Echo devices. I purchased another light switch (120v, 15 amp) for our outdoor pool light switch. (See link below)
We live in the desert and even today highs around 110 degrees are expected. Things cook out here in summer. The switch is outside and does get a little direct sun. The switch would be behind a water-resistant cover, but I want to know opinions on its survivability.

https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Wi-Fi-Light-Switch-TP-Link/dp/B01EZV35QU

Although it is not recommended for outdoor use, I installed one of the HS 200 switches outside for our horse arena lighting. I used a weather resistant cover. I installed it back in November so it survived the winter. My switch is under an awning and shaded all day. I'm not sure how it will handle direct sun exposure, particularly inside of a clear plastic cover. I also use an HS100 inside our pool shed for the landscape lights. The KASA app is great and I have had no connection issues. Even after losing power to the switch they boot up within just a few seconds. You probably know this, but you will need a neutral wire for the HS200.

Thanks for the reply. That’s good to hear. I do have 3 wire to the outlet. Kasa has some integral problems with Amazon on occasion (server issues or software?) but it’s working lately and we love it. Maybe I’ll wait until September to install ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.