Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: acid and base tests

1. Back To Top    #1

acid and base tests

Hi,
    I am purchasing my first chemical test kit and am debating between the TF100 and the K-2006. From what I can tell, the only real difference is the larger reagents in the TF100 but the lack of the acid and base demand tests.

My question is, do I need the acid and base demand tests, or are those tests I won't really use anyway?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
    David
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: acid and base tests

The acid and base demand tests apparently help you predict the quantity of acid or baking soda you will need to make a specific change. The pool calulator does the same thing without the need to perform the test.

Very. very few people on the forum use either test.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, Dave.

Since the Acid/Base demand tests don't sound necessary, do you (or anyone reading) have a preference between the Taylor K-2006 or the TF100?

Thank you,
    David
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

do you (or anyone reading) have a preference between the Taylor K-2006 or the TF100?
    Yikes! I better not answer that.

(David, I make and sell the TF-100 )
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by davidgelb
    ... do you (or anyone reading) have a preference between the Taylor K-2006 or the TF100?
    Dave's Kit Pros:
    - The service and support is very good.
    - Shipping is quite fast

Taylor Kit Pros:
    - Bottles and caps are color coded
    - Light sensitive reagents are in dark (light blocking) bottles (R-871)
    - Moisture sensitive reagents are in moisture absorbing containers (DPD Powder)

6. Back To Top    #6

I have a Leslie's DPD kit left behind by the previous owner. I experimented with the acid demand a couple times, and I can see how you could learn to translate "x drops = y ounces acid" but overall I think the pool calculator is easier to use.

TF-100 and K-2006 have some minor differences in equipment but they both use all Taylor reagents so there's no difference in terms of test accuracy. And duraleigh should sell a "how to deliver small packages across the country faster than anybody else" pamphlet.

I have not really done price comparisons. For R-0003 thru R-0012 I've been getting refills from the local Leslie's because it's super convenient.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

7. Back To Top    #7

David, welcome to TFP!!

I'm one of the very few here that use the demand tests I've used them for 20 years so have learned how to dose a pool from the results. The reason I use them is because I have 2 handicaps that the pool owners here don't have to worry about 1) I don't have access to Jason's calculator in the field (no laptop ) 2) The pool owner is charged by the hour for me being there, repeat visits to ballance the water can get real expen$ive for them

So I use them, but no pool owner here would ever need them You simply can not go wrong with choosing the TF100! The customer service is without equal and the shipping is faster than any other place I (and my wife) have ordered from on-line! As a member here you have access to the owner of the company every day as well as hundreds+ satisfied users all of whom are more than willing to help you if you have any questions about the kit. TFP rocks and so does the TF kit
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank you all,
    I appreciate the help!! Dave, I went ahead and ordered your kit today. Looking forward to getting it!

Thank you everyone!

-David

9. Back To Top    #9

I'd have to agree with everyone else.

I got the Leslie's kit and have never used the base/acid tests. I have since bought the add on to fas/dpd test from tftestkits.

I was so jelous of the layout I went to walmart today and got a divider kit and made my Leslie's kit look like the TF100. I left the rest in the blue box. Wish I would of just got the tf100 to begin with.

Their shipping can't be beat. I ordered on Thursday and got it on Saturday.
    24'x4' AGP Round
    S166T Hayward Sand Filter
    S48K2A2 Hayward Pump

10. Back To Top    #10

My thoughts (Taylor user for many years).

I like the Acid Demand feature on the Taylor because I have trouble comparing the colors above 7.6. I just add drops until I am back in the 7.4 to 7.6 range, (usually one) and add 1/3 gal MA per drop. Simple and fast and no computer needed. I have a measure that adds 1ppm FC when filled with LC and .5 ppm when filled with bleach. So likewise for FC. I use PoolCalculator only for my Sunday (all chems) checks. (Quantity of 1/3 gal. is only good for 28,000 gal. pool.)

I just purchased Dave's CYA setup. It is much better than the K-2006 setup. Much easier to read and wider range. It does use twice as much reagent, however. (Tip: If you have a SWG or are otherwise always over 60 CYA, buy the Taylor mix bottle to use with the TFT test. Use half the reagent and you are good for CYA=60 and higher. Use the TFT bottle in the Spring or below 60 CYA.)

If I had to start over, I would buy the TFT kit for the CYA setup and smarter reagent amounts. The Taylor only has reagent for 3 CYA tests so adjust price accordingly. I certainly could live without Acid/Base demand.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.