Bazzer

Aug 16, 2017
Kennett Square, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Our pool was built last year so clean water went in and I had no issues until the pool closed. Only needed to backwash once!

A few days ago we opened a murky mess. I didn't see everything that the pool company did, but when I arrived home the SWG had shutdown already through lack of flow and the filter seemed full so I did a backwash. I've messed up a couple of times already. I forget my filter was still on backwash while adding DE and when I switched back to filter, I fired DE directly into the pool. I also added about 20lbs salt to the skimmer basket which caused a "High Salt/Amps" error to appear until I realized to add it to the pool directly. The salt blocked the skimmer drain for a while, but it seems to have cleared because I sometimes see movement in the skimmer, more as the VSP increases power, sometimes none when the VSP is at 45% and the filter is "getting full". I've backwashed 2 or 3 times a day since then and the SWG always shuts down when my VSP is running at 45% through lack of flow.

The pool has been clearing. I recently tried using the pool vac to more directly dealing with the dirt but there were times I didn't see movement in the skimmers and the jets seemed to "burp".

Some questions:
  1. Have I permanently damaged anything by adding salt to the skimmer?
  2. Have I permanently damaged anything with the DE going in during the backwash?
  3. What do I do next? Will time just help stuff dissolve and things will sort themselves out?

Thanks!

B

I doubt you have "damaged" anything, but adding DE while in the Backwash mode will plug up the inside of your grids... I doubt backwashing will remove all of it...

If this were my pool, I would open the filter, remove the grids, and clean each one individually to make sure nothing was left on the inside of the grids..

When operating correctly, the DE collects on the outside of the grids.

On a one times basis, I can't see adding salt to the skimmer damaging anything either...

Next time, just add the salt to the pool and sweep it around for a minute and it will all disappear.

To add DE.... add all the DE you plan to use in a 5 gallon bucket and then add water... Stir it up into a slurry... with the pump running at about 50% (in the Filter position) slowly pour the slurry into the skimmer...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

@jimrahbe, Phew! Such good news! Thanks so much for the tips! I found getting the DE into the skimmers a bit of a pain, leaving the fine white powder all over the place, so this tip is really welcome!

I've never cleaned the filter myself before. It is difficult?

B,

Yes and no... :p Once you've done it once it is easy.. The first time is a little more difficult, but not really hard to do.

I suggest you view a couple of u-tube videos to give you an idea about what you need to do..

You can only backwash a few times before you should disassemble and clean the filter.. this is because backwashing only removes about 80% of the DE.. So each time you backwash more and more dirty DE is left behind..

Depending on how "handy" you are, it might make sense to have someone come clean it while you watch.. Then you would know what to do next time.

I'd watch the videos and then decide if it is something you feel comfortable doing.

Thanks,

Jim R.

OK, so I watched a couple of videos. Seems like the process is:

1. Shut all the power off
  2. Undo the valve at the top of the unit to let air in
  3. Undo the drain plug at the bottom to let all the water out
  4. Remove the assembly which holds the top and bottom halves together
  5. Remove the top half
  6. Remove the grids and clean them with a hosepipe
  7. Clean out the empty filter unit
  8. Insert the clean grids
  9. Replace the top of the filter unit
  10. Replace the assembly which holds the top and bottom halves together
  11. Insert the drain plug
  12. Set the value to “waste” or “drain” so remaining dirt will flow out the backwash pipe
  13. Use the pump to fill the filter. Air should hiss from the valve at the top. When water appears, close the value
  14. Run the pump for 30 seconds to flush out any last debris
  15. Shut off the pump
  16. Switch the valve to filter
  17. Mix up some DE with water
  18. Switch on the pump
  19. Add DE/water mixture to a skimmer
  20. Note the pressure and set the green line on the pressure gauge
  21. Have a beer

Does this sound right? A couple more questions....

One video said that I should use silicon sealant between the top and bottom halves before I add the pressure assembly. Another said just silicon lubricant. Any opinions?

Also, the amount of DE to add seems highly variable. I assume I should use more when I’ve just cleaned the grids compared to after backwashing. I would guess that if backwashing only removes 80% of DE, I should probably add only 80% the fill amount. I have a 36sq. ft. filter, which somewhere I read here said should use 7.2 scoops of DE. 80% of 7.2 is 5.75, but my pool installer said to use 4.5 scoops after backwashing. Again, suggestions would be appreciated!

Finally, I've seen any been told to fill the pump with water before starting it, but any water I pour in seems to disappear before I get the top on and the pump running! How important is this, and any advice besides a team of three or spiderman-like reflexes?

Thanks so much for all the help!

B,

Well, let's talk about the pump first... Gravity will cause the water to run out of the pump and back into the pool unless you have a valve that you can close. If your pump is working, adding the water should not be necessary...

You take out the grid assembly as one piece... Top, several grids, and bottom.. Look to see how it is put together before taking it apart...

After cleaning the grids, reassemble the gird assembly... For me, I reassemble upside down, as the grids stay in place better. First time took me an hour and I almost cried... :p Next time about 5 minutes...

You need to match the bottom and top so that they fit around the stand pipe in the shell...

Always use Lubricant.. if you used "sealant", you would never get it apart.. :rolleyes:

You add 80% DE after a backwash and 100% when clean.. Use a 5 gallon bucket and add the DE and water and mix into a slurry.. With the pump running at 2K rpm or up.. slowly add the slurry to the skimmer. You would do this when the multiport is in the filter position...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Done!

From this:
Frame-22-05-2018-10-56-09.jpg

To this:
Frame-22-05-2018-10-58-09.jpg

I first hosed the entire assembly trying to get between the grids as much as possible. I then removed each grid in turn and it was surprising how much dirt I had missed. I then hosed them down individually before reassembling the entire unit.

Your comment about installing them upside down was invaluable. In fact, the assembly had a stand to allow it to sit upside down.

The whole job took me an hour working nice and slow and taking video of everything to ensure I would be able to fit it all together. I'd be surprised if it took me 20 minutes next time.

SWG Chlorinator is running nicely now.

Thanks!

B,

:goodjob:

Thanks for the pics...

I have a couple of pools with DE filters and never backwash them.. I just clean them twice a year... In your location, I would bet you could just do it once a year at closing..

The key is running your pool at a low rpm most of the time.. In my case at 1200 rpm... Filter pressure is only about 4 lbs... Just fast enough to keep the SWCG on...

Jim R.

Reactions: Bazzer

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.