Tampa, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Edge-25
Otherwise known as wasps. I spend a good chunk of my time in the pool on wasp lookout, net in hand, ready to drown them. I’m constantly hunting their nests and zapping them, but of course all the neighbors are probably playing host to them as well.

Found this thread. My water is perfect so I don’t want to mess that up, but I would love to be able to enjoy the pool without being divebombed by kamikaze wasps. Does anyone see any harm in adding this?

Interesting.

I've only had the occasional issue with wasps when food is out.

Mud dobbers will usually try to build a nest near the roof by the pool, but I blast it with
water before they finish and then won't see them again til next season.

My issue is aggressive honey bee's. Think they could very well bee the africanized variety.

If I see one flying around the pool/guest area and try to splash it away it seems to get
really aggressive.

Had maybe one or two last summer but the summer before it happened quite a few times.

I just zapped two nests yesterday, and I know they weren’t there a few days ago. They love to build under my pool stairs. I’ve got Waspinators hanging all around and while they do make a difference around the house, the one on the pool stairs doesn’t bother them a bit.

I killed 6 in the pool yesterday, in about an hour. Only nabbed one today, but others were flying around, eyeballing me.

Otherwise known as wasps. I spend a good chunk of my time in the pool on wasp lookout, net in hand, ready to drown them. I’m constantly hunting their nests and zapping them, but of course all the neighbors are probably playing host to them as well.

Found this thread. My water is perfect so I don’t want to mess that up, but I would love to be able to enjoy the pool without being divebombed by kamikaze wasps. Does anyone see any harm in adding this?

I noticed a lot of soil columns or galleries while refurbishing my pool, especially in the uprights and vertical parts of the decking. These appear to be Mud Dauber wasps and are quite harmless - they rarely sting. I pressure washed the galleries away. Mud dauber - Wikipedia and search for other articles.

Kelly, at my place the honey bees drove my wasps away but they are addicted to my salt pool and are a pain in the butt. I may try this treatment as we warm up. If you try it first, please report back!

Borjis, said honeybees have driven me to contacting bee keepers and an entomologist, so I’ll share with you their ideas. The bee keepers say it’s happening because the bee keeper in question across the road from me isn’t “watering” his hive. I asked him to and his response was that they live on the river, they don’t need water. Apparently they love my salt and chlorine a lot more than they love the river ;)

So at the bee keeper forum behest, I put out salt blocks and water source in my front yard to distract them last year en route to the pool. It fooled some of them, but once a scout made it to the pool, news would get out. Putting a colorful sponge in the water source distraction helps make it inviting for them to land. You may want to try this to reduce the numbers if nothing else!

The entomologist said posturing violence and beating them to death with a pool noodle would help communicate that this wasn’t a playground, but that you always had to leave one alive to report. It feels mean but it does help. I have guests and family members who are highly allergic to stings, so I have to strike a balance.

Lastly, the ento also told me that chlorine is like alcohol to them, makes em drunk, and they love it...the added salt makes it like a margarita ;) Since most who forage pool water are near the end of their 40 day worker life, I’m not to feel too guilty about killing them as this is usually their last hurrah. (I still feel guilty killing them. Neighbor gives me lots of free honey.) Once they’re non productive, they fly off to seek water and die, according to ento.

Just wanted to share those tidbits! But I may resort to the chemical warfare in the post kelly referenced...

My dogs have gotten stung, my brother too. Don’t want to chance it!

Well, there was the time I was mowing and one of the rear wheels got stuck in a rotted out tree stump root on a grade. I tried to rock the mower back and forth to free it and only succeeded in upsetting a bunch of hornets. I promptly got stung on the legs and ran the 100 ft back to the house while stripping, they of course swarmed me and followed me in. It took a vacuum cleaner and my dog biting at them to get them to stop. We counted around 30 stings. It was possibly the most energetic dance I ever did in my underwear ...

I was hoping salt and chlorine would drive them off. Certainly didn’t mean to become the local watering hole!

Azide, PLEASE tell me someone uploaded that to YouTube!

It's probably not a true summer if I don't get "popped" by some of those yellow demons at least once. One thing's for sure, I'm not allergic. :) At the pool, the yellow jackets are for the most part a harmless nuisance to us, although they strike fear in most everyone's heart. They land, drink, and move on. My German Sheppard does not like them as will go out of his way to catch and eat them. He gets stung, but ends-up the victor. Where I live in the country, it's not uncommon to find nests the size of softballs. I'll zap the ones close to a public area, but leave the others as it seems to keep them away and occupied for nesting. Then when it gets cool again I'll take those down as well. The worse are the nests tucked inside shrubs. I don't see them until I've disturbed then, then it's too late. That's when I always get popped, scream, cuss, then run like a little child across the yard. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I’m one of the people with terror in my heart! Bees are fine, we need them. (Just not within a mile of me). But I see no point at all in the existence of wasps.

Wasps don't bother me as much as bees, and when it gets really dry I get tons of both. Bees are stupid. They often just seem to to jump into the water and they are NEVER grateful to be rescued. I keep other water sources around the yard including a blue wading pool that is similar in color to my pool. It helps some, but when it is dry (all of June and part of July) I figure a day without a sting is a good one. SIGH

My understanding of how adding algaecide works is that it reduces water tension so when they hit the water they drown instead of being able to land on the surface. I don't think it repels them in any way. I would love to find a real solution but there doesn't seem to be anything other than screens.

Okay, this thread jinxed me today. We had our first pool party, and when I was getting out of the pool I felt a pinch on my neck. Thought my necklace scraped me. Then as I was getting back in the water, I felt something on the back of my neck - it was a honeybee. At some point it was probably in the water, got soaked and grabbed me to hang onto, but then popped my neck. Didn't even say "thank you" to me.

Okay, this thread jinxed me today. We had our first pool party, and when I was getting out of the pool I felt a pinch on my neck. Thought my necklace scraped me. Then as I was getting back in the water, I felt something on the back of my neck - it was a honeybee. At some point it was probably in the water, got soaked and grabbed me to hang onto, but then popped my neck. Didn't even say "thank you" to me.

Nope, they are just plain ungrateful and mean! LOL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.