My present parameters are:

pH 7.6

Alkalinity 100

CYA 70

Calcium 360

FC 5

salt 3360

Water temp 80°

CSI is -0.07 which is great. Should I correct my out of range alk/calcium or just monitor and correct if CSI gets out of balance?

I really do not see anything here that needs adjusting. There is no easy way to lower the CH without replacing water which is going to reduce your cya and salt levels also. If you just focus on keeping the ph and range the TA should eventually drop and stabilize.

I really do not see anything here that needs adjusting. There is no easy way to lower the CH without replacing water which is going to reduce your cya and salt levels also. If you just focus on keeping the ph and range the TA should eventually drop and stabilize.

I thought 360 CH was on the lower range of desired with plaster/SWG? I was only thinking about the elevated TA. I would need to raise the CH to compensate for the lowering of TA wouldn't I?

I gotta ask. How did you get a salt level of 3360?

LOL, I knew that wouldn't get by the TFP experts! Since my diagnostics aren't working on my SWG I had to use a strip (appears to be a something like a chromatograph). I have a refractometer and will try to verify that.

You need to realize there's no need to chase a specific value or range. Your water is balanced so there is nothing to worry about. If you want to lower the TA you could easily compensate by slightly increasing the pH. Realize too that in most cases the CH continually rises due to evaporation unless you're in a very high rain environment.

I recommend this salt test kit: K-1766 Taylor Salt Test It's better than relying on your SWCG to measure it. And it turns really cool milky colors! :)

Thanks! I'll order it today.

You need to realize there's no need to chase a specific value or range. Your water is balanced so there is nothing to worry about. If you want to lower the TA you could easily compensate by slightly increasing the pH. Realize too that in most cases the CH continually rises due to evaporation unless you're in a very high rain environment.

Thank you. That is something I constantly tell people in my hobby (saltwater reef aquariums). Chasing numbers there usually results in bad outcomes. I just didn't know how important the TFP recommended levels were compared to a balanced CSI. I'll monitor and adjust based on keeping my CSI in balance!

The tfp ranges are very generalized and generally speaking if you stay in that range your pool will be more or less balanced. We generally avoid looking at CSI with most members as they are not as experienced as you are with dealing with bodies of water and they are often overwhelmed with just the basics. You have enough experience to be looking at the CSI and to know what to adjust to manipulate it as you desire.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.