Our new inground, plaster/pebble pool was crystal clear and perfectly balanced. Then, workers came to repair some gouges and smooth the pebble bottom. They did this while the pool was filled and used several gallons of muriatic acid. This lowered the ph to the bottom of the color scale, so we added borax according to the calculator, and baking soda to raise the TA, which was also low. Everything is fine again, the water is sparkling and feels great. But is it normal to have all these chemicals? Can this stew of acid and borax even be called "water" at this point? This is our first pool. We love it, but it seems very strange to swim in muriatic acid and borax, especially the acid, which is used to etch stone! Should we empty the pool and start again? We would really appreciate some reassurance or advice.