Please Help Me!!

BRM12

May 7, 2018
Massillon
Hello everyone! I am a nervous wreck and stumbled across this site, hoping it'll solve my problems and make me "daddy of the year"!

We bought a house in November that has a 26ft above ground pool. The last time it was used was 2 1/2 years ago, and the water looks very bad. I am ready to tackle the project of getting it ready for my boys to be able to swim! I have read the SLAM thread but instantly became overwhelmed. I am hoping someone may be so kind to kind of walk me through the process day by day... or hour by hour.

The cover is on, although there are a few holes in it. I am completely dumb with anything to do with pools, but I am very handy and run my own remodeling business. Can anyone be so kind to help me, my kids have been waiting for pool time!

Step 1 is to get a good test kit, either the TF-100 or the K-2006. The TF-100 is recommended because it contains more of the test reagents, which you will need to get a swamp cleaned up.

Once you get the test kit we will need the following readings:

CYA:

pH:

FC:

CC:

The others can wait for now -- these are your immediate concerns.

While waiting for your test kit to arrive, uncover the pool and clear out as much of the debris as you can. It it wouldn't hurt to begin running the pump and adding a gallon or two of plain, unscented, non splashless laundry bleach each day. You may want to clean the filter first, if you don't know what condition it is in. Put your pool details, including the kind of filter you have, either sand or cartridge, in your signature line. Also let us know what kind of pump you have. All this info will help us to give you better advice on what to do.

Read the instructions on performing a SLAM on our pool school page and familiarize yourself with that. That is going to be your first task after you get your test results posted. Don't worry, a SLAM is easy. It is simply bringing up your free chlorine (FC) level to a certain point, and then keeping it there as long as necessary to kill everything in the pool. We will know what that level is as soon as we have your test results. Don't be concerned about the overnight chlorine loss test (OCLT) yet. There's no reason to even think about that until your water is perfectly clear. There will be plenty of time to deal with that later. You will continue the SLAM until the water is clear.

Ok. I ordered the test kit this morning! I have a SwimPro Voyager premium element filter, with 3 brand new filter cartridges. Any idea on how to hook it up? Im pool dumb!
There is also a smaller thing that says VisionPro Aboveground Nature 2.... It has an inlet and outlet and the thing on the top says Tri-chlor Tabs Only?

20180507_175747.jpg20180507_180156.jpg

Ok, so in the meantime just do what jeffchap said... Remove the cover, clean/brush, run the pump, add a gallon of bleach a day???

Yes Sir. Do not sweat this. You are in good hands.

Ok. I ordered the test kit this morning! I have a SwimPro Voyager premium element filter, with 3 brand new filter cartridges. Any idea on how to hook it up? Im pool dumb!
There is also a smaller thing that says VisionPro Aboveground Nature 2.... It has an inlet and outlet and the thing on the top says Tri-chlor Tabs Only?

View attachment 76554View attachment 76555

It would be helpful if you would post a picture of your pump and filter.

Your pump will probably have a round basket container on the end of it with a clear lid. This is the prefilter basket. There should be a hose connection on that basket. Connect a hose between that and the bottom of the big round thing hanging on the outside of your pool (the skimmer).

Now there's probably a hose coming out of the pump that goes to a connection on the filter labeled Input/Intake or something like that. There will be another connection for a hose coming back out of the filter labeled Output/Return. Connect a hose between that and the valve on the outside of your pool. That's the return.

That's all there is to the pump and filter. Take the filter cartridges out and rinse them off if they are dirty. Check to see that they don't have any holes or tears in them. If they do, you need to get replacements. There should be a model number on them somewhere that you can use to find them online. Or take one to a pool store and see if they have a replacement. DO NOT TAKE ANY WATER to the pool store for testing, and do not buy anything but the filters. (Sorry, I just re-read that you have new filters -- great!)

Throw the VisionPro Nature2 thing in the trash, or better yet sell it to some unsuspecting sucker on Craigslist. Search the site here to see what we think of the Nature2 system (hint - it's not good). You will only be using liquid bleach and some other off the shelf products from your grocery store to maintain your pool. No expensive pool store snake oils or magic potions.

My wife took our water sample to a local place called Comfort Tech where we go for all our smoker chips. They tested it and said they would recommend 4 bags of pre dissolved shock and 8 gallons of liquid shock. Three hours later they said add 12lbs of Alkalinity Rise. They said our water pH was perfect and water wasnt that bad....
So should I still start with running the filter and adding a gallon of bleach each day until my kit arrives?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes. Ignore anything the pool store told you. Pool stores are notoriously terrible at measuring CYA (aka stabilizer), and the shock powder contains stabilizer. You may already have too much in your pool. We won't know until you get your test kit and measure it yourself. Adding more now could make a bad problem worse, and force you to drain and refill.

If you do need to increase your alkalinity, the stuff they sell is chemically identical to Arm and Hammer baking soda, but at twice the price. But alkalinity is one of the things we can wait to address after we get your water clear. It's a secondary issue.

BTW, liquid chlorine/shock = bleach, if that makes you feel better about our recommendation. Read the labels -- they are both sodium hypochlorite. With a pool as large as yours and with pretty nasty water, you could safely add 2 gallons per day. It'll get used up pretty quickly. That'll give you a headstart on your SLAM, as will dredging out everything you can with a leaf rake (a pool specific tool, not a regular yard rake).

Jeffchap, thanks for being my personal helper...and I really mean that!
I got the cover off, filter up and running, and put 2 gallons of bleach in! I scrubbed a bit and got most all the leaves out. Should I just continue to run filter and add 2 gallons of bleach a day for now? Check the filter cartridge once a day and hose it off when needed? Any other advice is much appreciated!

It said 1 to 4 days. I got the xl option and the speed stirrer as well jist because so many on here raved about it.
Sorry to ask so many questions, I just dont want to mess this up. Furthermore, my 2 little guys are relying on daddy and I dont want to let them down!
Should I leave filter running 24/7? How often should I check cartridge? Do I backwash or take them out and rinse them? Does it matter what timw of day I add the 2 gallons of bleach per day? Will adding those 2 gallons harm my process in any way while I am waiting?
Also, I will load a picture of my filter tomorrow. It is a Hayward SwimPro Voyager 1500 filter

It said 1 to 4 days. I got the xl option and the speed stirrer as well jist because so many on here raved about it.
Sorry to ask so many questions, I just dont want to mess this up. Furthermore, my 2 little guys are relying on daddy and I dont want to let them down!
Should I leave filter running 24/7? How often should I check cartridge? Do I backwash or take them out and rinse them? Does it matter what timw of day I add the 2 gallons of bleach per day? Will adding those 2 gallons harm my process in any way while I am waiting?

The more you run the filter, the faster the water will clear. So yes, 24x7 is optimal. I'd check the filters at least every other day until the water starts getting clear. If you find it's not too dirty, you can let it go longer. Does your filter have a pressure gauge? If so, rule of thumb is to clean them whenever the pressure rises more than 25% over what it reads when they are clean.

Most cartridge filters don't have a backwash feature, so taking them out and rinsing them off is the only option.

As for the time of day to add chlorine, whatever is convenient will do. Personally, I'd probably add it early in the day so that it's working while algae is trying to multiply in the sunlight. But the drawback is that UV rays from the sun burn it off too. That's what CYA is for -- to protect the chlorine from the sun. But we don't want to add any more CYA until we know how much is already in your water.

2 gallons of bleach in a 26’ pool is pretty conservative. Remember, the pool store told you to add 8 gallons right away, in addition to what was in the shock they recommended. It's probably all gone within an hour or two anyway, used up by eating up all the organic material in your water. I'm just trying to keep your pool from getting any worse until we can get your SLAM started.

If you want to be a little more proactive, you could pick up one of those OTO 2-way drop test kits from Walmart for around $15. They will measure total chlorine up to 5 ppm. You could add as much chlorine as necessary to reach that level and then add more periodically as needed to keep it there. 5 ppm won't hurt your pool even if there's no CYA in your water currently. You'd probably find yourself adding a gallon every hour at first. But this might not be a good use of money if that's an issue, as 5 ppm of chlorine might not be effective at all if your CYA is really high. Again, we need those test results to get really serious about this.

Ok Jeff, I will stick with adding the 2 gallons of bleach every morning. I will run the filter 24/7 until my wife yells at me about the bill lol. I dont want to waste money on adding more bleach if you say its best to wait for my Test Kit. Im assuming adding the 2 gallons a day isnt hurting anything and while may only be helping slightly, isnt wasting money like I may be doing by adding more bleach before getting my CYA readings.

Btw, here's what we're going to do when your test kit arrives..

1) check your pH. If it's in the 7.2-7.8 range great, forget about it for now. The pool store told you it was okay, and this is an easy test so hopefully they are correct. If it's low, use Pool Math to calculate how much Borax from the laundry aisle to add to bring it into range. If it's higher than 7.8, Pool Math will tell you how much muriatic acid to use to bring it down into range. It's okay to get muriatic acid from the pool store, but you can also find it in any hardware store, usually in the paint dept.

2) check the CYA. If it's higher than 80, a partial drain and refill is going to be the easiest thing to do. If it's below 30, use Pool Math to figure out how much CYA to add to bring it up to 30. You can get CYA, commonly called stabilizer, at most hardware stores that sell pool supplies, Walmart, Academy sports, and of course any pool store. Add the CYA to a tube sock and hang it in front of the return and squeeze it periodically to help it dissolve faster. If you dump it directly into the pool, it'll settle to the bottom and fade your liner. It takes a while to dissolve. Don't worry about measuring for it again, it can take a couple of days to show up on the test. Just add the suggested amount and assume it is there.

3) Now we'll begin the SLAM. First, remove your ladder and anything else in the pool that could harbor algae. Then test your FC and CC. Use Pool Math again to determine how much bleach or liquid chlorine to add to bring your FC level to 40% of whatever you've measured your CYA to be. If CYA is 30, your FC target is 12 ppm. If CYA is 80, your FC target is 32 ppm. You can see now why high CYA is a problem. With CYA over 100, you'd need to buy chlorine by the truckload to reach the required FC level.

Test FC as frequently as possible and keep adding chlorine/bleach to bring it back to your target. It doesn't hurt to overshoot by a couple of ppm. The more frequently you test and add chlorine, the faster your pool will clear up. Hourly is optimal if you can, but that's not practical for those of us that work of course. But at a minimum, you should add at least 3 times per day.

Keep this up until the water is clear, rinsing the filters as needed. Keep the pump running 24x7 and brush the sides and bottom of the pool as often as you can. This helps break through the outer surface of the algae and makes it more susceptible to the chlorine.

Take pictures of the bottom of the pool to track your progress and post them here. We are nosey and love pictures. After a couple of days the green will start to turn grey, then bluish, then eventually crystal clear blue. But be patient -- done properly the process works every time. Remember, your pool didn't get into this shape overnight and it won't get fixed overnight either. But we will get there. Without seeing your water, I'm going to guess 7-10 days. Some go faster, some slower. The biggest factor is how frequently you can add chlorine to keep it at or above the target level.

Once the water looks clear, we'll deal with knowing when to stop the SLAM. It's in Pool School, called an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test (OCLT) if you want to read ahead. But until the water is clear, there's no sense in wasting reagent to run the test.

For encouragement, check this out: SLAM success full. I am a full believer now. Pics inside

This is where you are headed!

I was once in your shoes 6 years ago, and didn't know the first thing about pools. In 6 years I've opened crystal clear for 3 and literally a black swamp with frogs in it one or two years and green this year. This site will teach you how to fish, no pun intended instead of handing you one, like the pool store. You will learn the BBB method and SLAM method here, and will never enter a pool store and spend hundreds of dollars on chemicals ever....

Grab a pack of skimmer socks for $15 bucks It will reduce your frequency of cartridge filter rinses. Since the water is that dirty, the skimmer socks and cartridge filters will probably load up every couple of hours or so. I just cleared my pool of green algae in 4 days. Run the pump after 5 pm. Electric rates typically decrease in evening non peak hours depending on your utility provider.

So assuming you have your pump
set up and running. Line skimmer basket with skimmer sock. Record starting clean psi. Should be between 8 and 11 psi typically.

Another thing to be aware of. If using skimmer sock, when it gets loaded up, it may induce air into the system since the fine debris you are trapping creates a vacuum lock of water flow. Enough build up of trapped blocked debris in your skimmer basket and water suction, and it may crack the the top of your skimmer basket. Not the skimmer unit itself, but just the basket. They are like $8-$12, and handy to have an extra. So its good to check that sock every hour or so, and rinse. If you lose psi or water prime, open air relief valve on filter unit until water comes out.

The sock and filter clears the water, and the Chlorine sanitizes it. 3 things diminish chlorine. Sunlight, too low CYA, and debris and organics in pool like green or yellow algae.

First start with the CYA test. You want to shoot for 30-50 ppm to render you're chlorine effective. Start with 30 now. If you are lower than 30 ppm CYA bring it up by using the pool calculator on this website to determine how much stabilizer to add. If you are higher than 50 CYA ppm then you need to drain some water, and add some fresh water as this is the only way to remove CYA or Cynuric Acid.

Second step. Go to Wal-Mart or store of choice and pick up either 6% regular bleach 8% concentrated bleach or 10% pool chlorine. Get a case of it. The pool calc will tell you in ounces how much to add in percentages depending on gallon size of pool. Bleach or pool chlorine is expressed in Sodium Hypochlorite. **STAY AWAY FROM SHOCK PACKETS, OR CHLORINE TABLETS FOR NOW AS THIS WILL RAISE YOU'RE CYA OUT IF RANGE, AND YOURE POOL WILL EVENTUALLY REQUIRE MORE AND MORE CHLORINE TO SANITIZE.

Once you have established a CYA of 30 ppm on the low side of the range, you want to start the TFP process of SLAM. Sanitize Level Adjust Maintain. Determine the current FC or Free Chlorine of pool, input into pool calc, and set a target range of FC between 15-20 ppm. Determine current PH of pool water. Shoot for 7.2 PH for pool SLAM. Add expressed amounts of Borax or washing soda to increase or raise PH. Or use Muratic Acid diluted 1 quart at a time to lower PH. Pour muratic acid, SLOWLY OVER RETURN JET. USE RUBBER GLOVES. VERY IMPORTANT!! Pour desired % and ounces of bleach into pool. Allow to circulate for at least an hour. Measure FC again and confirm 15-20 ppm. Confirm PH 7.2 to 7.4

Run pump until skimmer sock clogs. Rinse, wash, repeat.

Check FC levels every 8 to 12 to 24 hrs. It should be going down due to chlorine eating organics in pool. Add chlorine again to to maintain target level of 15-20 ppm.

Water should be changing daily and gradually in clarity from green, to clear green, to cloudy blue, to hazy clear, to crystal clear.

Here are some examples of good numbers you want as a baseline to start with once you get you're test kit

FC Free Chlorine 15-20 ppm for SHOCK OR SLAM (Shock is a high chlorine level, not a product.)
Once crystal clear maintain 4-8 ppm FC.
TA ( Total Alkalinity) acceptable range
60-120 ppm. 90 being ideal. Baking soda to increase.
CH (Calcium Hardness) The amount of calcium in your water. Acceptable range 60-500 with anywhere from 60 to 250 being ideal depending if you have vinyl liner, gunnite, or plaster pool.
CYA 30-70. 30-50 being ideal.
PH 7.2 to 7.8 acceptable. 7.2 for SLAM and 7.4 to 7.6 for swimming. Borax or washing soda to raise, and muratic acid or PH Minus to lower.
CC or Combined Chlorine. You want your Combined Chlorine to be 0.5 - 0. This is the chlorine that the organics in your pool is working on.

TDS or Total Dissolved Solids. That's another subject.

I use triple filtration on my pool. I filter with Skimmer Sock, pump cartridge filter, and what is known as a Duda Diesel Bag on my return jet to trap all the finely suspended particles in the water. Mine bag is in 5 micron. My cartridge filter is 10 micron.

Here is the eBay link to order one. Its a pool hack people here use. Order it in polyester felt heat treat 4x14 size. 5 micron or 1 micron. When you get it, cut off the ring, and attach the bag to a 90 degree elbow with a hose clamp. It will load up very quickly depending on how much gunk you have in the pool, and you will probably have to power rinse it inside and out, by turning the bag inside and out until the water runs clear, every hour or so. You will know when it is clogged with crud. Your psi will probably jump to 20 psi or so.

Welded Industrial Filter Sock Bags Plastic Ring Flange Water Liquid Oil WVO Fuel | eBay

Ok. I have a few pictures to add showing my filter and a few vacuums that I don't know how or if to use.... Is there another way to attach my pictures??? It wont let me attach the pic of my filter/pump or either vacuum.
Either way the vacuums are a Hayward SolarRay and an Ocean Blue Designer Series Vinyl Vacuum
20180509_090729.jpg

Attachments

• 20180509_090636.jpg
    20180509_090636.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 475
Ok. I have a few pictures to add showing my filter and a few vacuums that I don't know how or if to use.... Is there another way to attach my pictures??? It wont let me attach the pic of my filter/pump or either vacuum
View attachment 76711
Upload your pics to postimages.org, then copy and paste the links here. You can embed an image by putting the link in between the [i.m.g] and [/i.m.g] tags. Just remove the periods -- I had to put those in so you can see the tags, otherwise it tries to display a picture.

Here's what it looks like:

62d29a4e22a91ba4c91ee6bef222180b.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.